Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Sweet Potatoes for the Bay Area?

Posted by plot_thickens 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 13:33

I'm putting in red potatoes and the husband walks up and says "hey can we grow sweet potatoes?"

And I realize that I really like sweet potatoes!

So what are the best kind for California (I live in Hayward by SF) and where can I get starts/slips/etc? And if anyone has any help with how to plant, that would be marvelous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Sweet Potatoes for the Bay Area?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 2:57

We aren't really an ideal climate for growing sweet potatoes, they prefer it hot and steamy. I'll be surprised if you get any replies on which ones to grow here...

o

Good to know. I'll try putting them somewhere in my rare 10a range. Thanks for the reply!

o

I think you'll have to do more than that. They really want warm SOIL above all. You might be able to grow them under a poly row cover, but it's way too late in the year to start with that now.

In terms of slips, you can just buy the kind of sweet potatoes you want at the market (I'd start this process around Valentine's Day). Scrub them with a brush because they may have had sprouting inhibitor sprayed on them. Make slices that have at least one eye each and sprout them in a shallow tray of water in a warm indoor place. When the sprouts are a couple of inches long, peel them off from the potato slice and root them like herbaceous cuttings. Grow them on indoors for about six weeks. Try and get them in your cloched bed by May 1st (cloche your bed earlier than that to warm up the soil).

Raw sweet potatoes harvested from the garden look and feel much fresher than those you buy from the market. But once cooked, there's not a big difference in quality. Considering that market sweet potatoes usually go for under a dollar a pound, it's probably not worth all the effort to try and grow them in a climate where they're not naturally adapted. It's a bit like trying to grow fruiting bananas in northern California -- it can be done, but is it worth the effort?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here