Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

Another less common flowering tree

bahia
12 years ago

This tree looks for all the world like a dwarf Avocado until it starts blooming, which it can do for most of the year in milder coastal California gardens. It stays on the small side, probably topping out at around 25 feet, and has continual sprays of these purple trumpet flowers about 9 months of the year here in Berkeley. It is never as prolific to be completely covered in blooms at one time as compared to Jacaranda trees, but is a nice patio tree in the garden. It originally comes from high elevation Ecuador, meaning it is quite happy with cool summer nights in Berkeley, but hasn't much freeze tolerance. In the 2007 freeze here it did suffer from some branch dieback and defoliated, but quickly grew back.

This photo is of just a single bloom, they usually open up a half dozen or so at a time, and each cluster will bloom for about 3 weeks. It is a repeat bloomer all during the warmer months, and in my garden, can still have blooms into December. I originally got my tree after seeing it at Steve Brigham's old Buena Creek Nursery in San Marcos, Ca. I don't know why it hasn't become more popular, it's a great small scale flowering tree for coastal influenced locations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delastoma roseum in bloom

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor