Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mickleson

On gophers and brugmansias...

Karen Mickleson
12 years ago

I gave a dear friend in Sebastapol (Sunset zone 15, USDA 9) a Charles Grimaldi. She has ongoing gopher problems. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the roots are poisonous to gophers.

I'm recommending she plant it in a wine half barrel, the bottom of which has been partially cut out to allow it to grow beyond the pot. She can dig a large hole under this pot & line it with chicken wire, replace the soil & put the wine barrel on top; but that's quite a hassle.

[Got one for myself--same zones-& plan to plant it in a wine half barrel without the bottom cut out to try and contain its height to about 5-6'. Anyone grown one in a half-barrel?]

Thoughts and/or experiences?

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (6)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I certainly hope they at least go on a very bad trip after eating my brugmansias.

I grow two in half-wine barrels on my patio in partial shade. I water them twice a week and cut them back to the ground every so often. I did not remove the bottom, because it holds the barrel together, but I'm sure by now it has disintegrated.

This one blooms the best, it gets more light.
    {{gwi:510048}}
    Renee

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

The biggestproblem i have with my Brug is the darn snails,if i don't stay on it,they'll devour it.

Renee,hope mine grows up to be like yours!!
    Kathi

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee, you can't mean that that Brug above is in a half wine barrel??

Question: one Brug in your album is surrounded by lovely magenta flowers. Are those pelargonium?

Your garden is stunning, by the way.

Karen

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Yes. Isn't it ridiculous? I cut it back to eight inches this winter. It's already seven feet tall.

Yes, the bright magenta flowers are ivy geraniums, and the color is "blue" on the nursery tags. I can't get enough of that color.

Thank you for the compliment.

Renee

• iris_9
    12 years ago

Here is my 'Charles Grimaldi' growing in 1/2 barrel on the deck on the central coast. It gets rootbound about every two years, and I have to take it out and prune the roots and also take some off the top and then repot it back in the barrel. I can tell it needs root pruning when the leaves start to diminish in size. Here are photos taken two years ago: before root pruning, after root pruning (and top pruning), and then 6 weeks later. I also have one planted in the yard, and we do have gophers that have destroyed the passion vine, but as far as I can tell the gophers have never bothered the brugmansia, because it is huge. (click on images to enlarge) {{gwi:484376}}{{gwi:538624}}{{gwi:484378}}

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I just wish I could find some authoritative source which says, gophers don't eat brugs :(

That's amazing, Renee--that that brug is growing in a wine barrel.

Iris, how much sun does yours get?

Karen