Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smoke bush

Posted by napapen ca 15 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 14:21

I have two smoke bushes that do not seem to be putting anything out to bloom this year. Both have bloomed in the past. They are at least 5 years in the current location.
Since they have getting leggy I am think of doing some tip pruning but wonder how long I should wait for flowers.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smoke bush

My smoke bush is in full bloom now. If you did not prune it last year, it should be blooming now. I am going to cut mine back drastically when next dormant, as it has too many overly long limbs. It is about 15 years old and the pruning has been haphazard and it looks it. Al

o

I prune it every year - am I doing it too late, I usually do it after it blooms.

Penny

o

Penny I now prune mine when dormant in the spring before new growth starts. This next year I will prune it down to about a foot off the ground to get all new growth. I will not get any bloom next year, because it will not bloom on the new growth. It now has quite a bit of dead wood and is generally misshapen. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here