Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Hot! asbesto suit gardening weather..

I'm seeing subtropical's in the bay area just leaping at this growing seasons warm,heat,and rains. Now,its just plain hot.
Water!,fertilize!

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Water, yes,
    Fertilizer, nope! Not until after the heat is gone.
    And perhaps rig temporary shade for sensitive plants.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    10 years ago

8:30 pm. i am just in- the sun is down and i have been out in my garden putting up even more temporary shade coverings for tomorrow. some leaves have been cooked! it wasn't a hard job, moving slowly on level ground, but i have a sweat mustache at 8:30 pm!
    where can i deposit my complaint? min

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    10 years ago

i don't know how to set the time on my posts. the clock is way off. min

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

It's bad here too- the second flush of roses is crisping just as it gets started, and the hydrangeas and brugmansias are flopping. I might put up a few umbrellas, but heck, I should really just write off summers entirely.

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

For me it's watering early and then hiding inside during the heat of the day weather... I meant to get out and cut a bunch of roses before they got cooked, but ended up getting busy and forgetting about it until it was too late. Fortunately I've got quite a few roses in afternoon shade, and though the blooms that opened in the morning fried several must have bloomed after they were no longer in direct sun because they look good.

I'm thinking, in our hot Ca summers, perhaps the ideal rose garden should contain some nice airy trees directly to the west so that the roses get filtered shade in the heat of summer but full sun for early spring and late fall. Another idea to catalog in my 'dream gardens' file...

Oh yeah, I think that the clocks on gardenweb are set to the eastern time zone, because as far as I've noticed they're always three hours ahead of us.

• socal23
    10 years ago

Supposed to hit about 90 here today. Wouldn't be so bad if it cooled down at night, but it's been staying in the mid to upper 60's (no A/C).

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holy macaroni its hot! Some years we never use the home air. Last late afternoon it went on for four hours. I did the watering EARLY this morning,before the laser beam through the magnifying glass feeling hits the skin. 67f for a low..and this weeks lows have been unheard of in the eastbay of the SF bay area.
    Still,I take it over gloomy fog in summer. I hate that.

• home_grower
    10 years ago

I got a high of 110* today, it looks like it will be about the same tomorrow. I gave all my trees a good watering last night.

I was smoking a tri-tip this morning and went out around 1pm to get it out of the smoker. I couldn't stand the heat in bare feet. I had to put on shoes to get the meat out of the smoker.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner