Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are the best outdoor orchids for coastal Cal?

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 14:33

Besides Cymbidiums or Masdevallia's,Epidendrons,..what can be expected to thrive? I have my eye on Dendrobium aggregatum/lindyei as a good z17 Sunset orchid. Maybe Laelia orchids..but I want exact names!. Too many if just you just tell me the family,I would like to know whats worth ordering or looking into at least.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are the best outdoor orchids for coastal Cal?

I find Dendrobium kingianum, bletilla (in ground or pots), Sobralia macrantha and Phaius tankervilliae all thrive without a fuss in my garden.

edit addition: Laelia anceps also thrived, although I don't have any at this time. I am sure there are other orchids, in addition to the noted Cymbidiums and epis, that I cannot think of right now.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 0:49

o

Brassavola nodosa (Lady of the Night) Although mine was a reluctant bloomer, it was a good grower outside.

o

Sobralia!..I had heard those did well. Thanks for bringing that up. And that Dendrobium sounds like a good one. What do you think of the yellow flowering D. aggregatum? I have Dendrobium 'Comet King' easy as pie-most of the time. Too wet is a no no.
Thanks..and if have more to list,I'm listening.

o

I have never grown D. aggregatum, so I can't help there. The D. nobile-types grew fine outdoors, but the different watering schedule they needed to induce blooming became a problem when I traveled and family members took on the task. So I gave them away.
I have some other ones I grew outdoors, but I need to go through my photo files to refresh my memory on their names. I won't have access to that computer until I get home in 5-7 days.
The individual sobralia flowers only last 1-2 days, but on the larger plants the bloom period can cover weeks. That is fortunate, because they always seem to come into bloom when I vacation in July! I like the foliage on them, so don't mind their appearance during the non-bloom season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here