Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify and treat a diseased tree

Posted by jnb0y 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 14:43

I've been living in this house for about a year and a half and have never positively identified one of my trees. Recently it started showing signs of illness. My neighbor told me that years ago it had a similar problem and it got bad, dropping lots of sticky stuff and loosing lots of leaves. He said it was treated with a Bayer product but he didn't know what.

THIS is a link to relevant pictures of the whole tree, leaves, bark and a sample of the disease symptoms.

Hoping to ID the tree, ID the disease and some suggestions regarding treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa Web Album - Pictures of effected tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify and treat a diseased tree

Woolly Ash Aphid, Prociphilus franxinifolii.

Joe

o

There is no doubt your tree has a serious aphid problem, but that is not the only problem. The leaf burn on the ends of the older leaves indicates a salt burn from the soil with several possible causes. I would take some foliage samples to your local county extension service where they are familiar with your local growing conditions for their suggestions on possible modifications to your soil or water. Al

o

Thanks guys, that gets me going in the right direction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here