Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalguy92505

Suggestion for narrow planter in full sun

socalguy92505
13 years ago

I have a long (35 ft approx) and narrow (15") planter area that runs along one wall of our house. The wall faces SE and we live in an inland, valley area of southern California. There are windows on this wall that start at approx 48" up from the planter bed.

Can anyone suggest some kind of colorful, possibly lily or tropical type plant that won't grow more than 48" and not too bushy or wide? Our yard has a lot of tropical plants that thrive, canna lillies, philodendron, palms etc so I'd like something similar or complimentary. Would Day Lillies or Stargazers survive in that much sun? Water is not a problem as there are sprinklers.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• whitelighter
    13 years ago

Daylilies should thrive, I would think- They sure do in S. Florida's 100F sun.

I am less familiar with Stargazers to grow, although I love 'em. I'll bet you could intersperse the two types and the Daylilies would shield the Stargazers, if they needed shielding.

EL

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Daylilys will be fine in hot sunny locations.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    13 years ago

Nasturtiums would also fit the bill, and would flower longer than daylilies.

Stargazers only flower once, and I doubt would like that much heat and sun.

Carla in Sac

• napapen
    13 years ago

Lily of the Nile comes in various sizes and colors. It is drought tolerant and seems to do well in sun. I have found day lilies need more water.

Penny

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

How deep is the planter? 35 feet is quite a distance. The most handsome treatments I've seen have a repeat pattern of complimentary foliages & color. In 35 feet 3 repeats would work well. And something draping over the edge at intervals would break up the length and add interest.

Oriental lilies do better with some winter chill. Asiatics would be more likely to establish. Lollipop is excellent and better looking than its photos if creamy pink fits.

Dwarf bougainvilleas (3 feet), Calla lilies accept full sun, the single bright ivy geranium I like best with daylilies - don't know name - took my starts from a public planting, Osteospermum also spill over (after spring bloom shear back), dwarf agapanthus, Geranium 'Rosanne' weaves into nearby plants, Gerbera daisies. I find my best combinations at the nursery by dragging pots around to see next to one another.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I have been very pleased with the "Little John" bottle brush. It does not get over four feet high, looks good all year, attracts hummers and other birds. Seems to be immune to pests and disease. It does well in full sun here. Al

• wanda
    13 years ago

Lantana in bright colors would work and fit in with a tropical scheme. Daylillies would certainly work and you can find some rebloomers and evergreen ones so you don't have to deal with winter barren.
    Since you live in So. CAL, you may be able to plant some of the low trailing Bougainvillea.

wanda

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Check out this web page for daylilies that will take the southern California heat. They are in Somis, and specialize in plants that can be left in black plastic pots on blacktop for commercial plantings.

I also like purple sea statice- it looks wonderful with bright gold daylilies. And there is my favorite flower- iris. Not terribly tropical, but very pretty. And you could get rebloomers in purple and gold to go with the other plants.

My dad's girlfriend has pots on shepherd's hooks over her narrow bed, and it helps give some height here and there. She plants ivy geraniums in them.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenwood Daylilies

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm