Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plot_thickens

Where to site Bay Laurel?

plot_thickens
12 years ago

Howdy! Can ya'all advise me where to plant my new Bay laurel?

Our 1.5 acre of Hayward Hills divides up this way:

1) 'Orchard': z9b, 1\4 acre, full sun all day, mild slope, hand-irrigated, heavily mulched

2) 'Front lawn': z9b: 1\10 acre, shaded with evergreens and growing Live Oaks. Destined to be Native garden.

3) 'Olive Tree': z9b: 1\10 acre, covered in massive 50 year old producing olive tree and prostrate junipers. Probably will be a Mediterranean Garden after we top the olive tree for easier harvesting.

4) 'Side Yard': z9a: shaded, wet 20 x 300 ft strip of shaded slope the wind rips through and runoff tries to erode. Will be swaled and planted.

5) 'Back 40': z8b: 1\2 acre of 35-degree slope down to stream. Will be scaped with swales and walkways to become a 'forest' atmosphere, making use of runoff from Raised Beds.

6) 'Back yard': z9a: 1\10 acre raised intensive beds, heavily maintained and irrigated. Lemon trees, boxwood, camellia are all very happy there. There's room by the back fence for a planting that can deal with pool chemicals.

Which is a good place? What should I know about planting Laurels? We have fairly good quality clay soil (a little low in Boron, but we're working on that).

Comments (3)