Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Plant ID For Flat Terra Cotta Pot

I have an area I've placed a terra cotta pot on a stand, which will be dripped. Trying to figure out what to plant in the pot. It is rather shallow, on the north side of the house, but, it gets a fair amount of morning sun until about 11-11:30 am, then again, in the later afternoon, about 5:00 pm during the spring and early summer. I wanted to plant a fuchsia, but, I think it's just too much sun. Looking for something with lots of pretty flowers, will grow up a bit but also trail down. I thought about Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera), but that just doesn't blom often enough. I'd like something that will bloom off and on all spring and summer if possible. Love to get a few suggestions. Here's a photo of the pot:

{{gwi:539062}}

Patty S.

Comments (12)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    9 years ago

Patty, there are sun fuschias.
    Try fuschia, cape passionate pink phygelius.
    Not sure your pot is deep enough. I have one in a pot in full sun from 10am on...so far so good and my temps get much warmer than yours.

Perhaps try ivy geranium or Lantana. Both should last all year in your area.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks goblue. I have a fair amount of ivy geranium, but that was going to be my "fall back" option. It's actually deeper than it looks (it's a really large pot, weighs a ton). Lantana might be too woody. I will try to look around for "sun" fuchsias. I would love to have one there, it would be perfect for this spot. Good to know. I knew there were heat-tolerant fuchsias, but that's not the same as "sun" tolerant. Appreciate the tip!

Patty S.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Not really for the flowers, but what about a fancy leaf pelargonium.

How about a dwarf canna? Not really a trailer but...

Francoa ramosa
    Bulbine frutescens tiny tangerine
    Bush type anigozanthos

This post was edited by nil13 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 19:10

• nil13
    9 years ago

There's so much that is 'supposed' to like sun that really likes shade in hot socal afternoons and super bright open to blue sky shade with morning sun allows a lot of options.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Phygelius is a very invasive plant here. Aggressive.

Lobelia would perform in 6-8 inch depth and prefer shade during the heat of the day. The 'wave' petunias also (great drape). Both can winter over in our climates. And look well together. Browallia has purple flowers and needs some sun protection in our climate.
    Fibrous begonias may like that exposure. For a draping perrenial that is 'shallow' rooted I like Campanula portenslagiana. I'm not as keen on Campanula poscharskyana. Neither blooms as long as you'd like tho.
    Million Bells is long blooming. Nemesias and verbenas too. If you've used potting mix violas will perform much longer than otherwise. That's all I can think of now.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

How about a succulent like an echeveria with some donkeys tail trailing over the edge,or a rhipsalis draping over the edge.Both take little care.I have an echeveria that is a maroon color and a rhipsalis that is multi color,that would pick up the burgandy in the echie.

Or how about an aeonium kiwi succulent,good color,again low maintenance etc,and will trail on it's own.

Here it is in bloom

{{gwi:539064}}

{{gwi:539066}}

Kathi

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, iris gal and Kathi. Kathi, I have literally thousands of succulents either in ground or in pots. I was trying to find something non-succulent for this area, lol! I will look into fibrous begonias, this might be a perfect plant for this location.

Patty S.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

I'd also vote for a "Million Bells", Calibrachoa, and I'd put it with a white or blue Bacopa, and a "Bluebird" Nemesia. One each in that size pot.
    If you want a little more height in the middle, switch out one for an Angelonia, a. angustifolia. It's like a petite snapdragon.
    Great plants for that location.

A dose of Osmocote at planting, keep 'em watered and you've got a combo that will bloom their little heads off all summer and into fall and live over winter too.

They do like a bit of trimming and grooming a couple times a year to look their best, but mostly they're pretty carefree.

I agree that lots of 'sun' plants do better with some afternoon shade in CA. Especially the bedding and container annuals and tender perennials like these.

Nemesia re-seeds for me like alyssum , but I like that, and it's not really aggressive about it. The little seedlings transplant amazingly well. I just move them where I want them when they pop up in spring.

Then again, begonias got me thinking, fibrous I think wouldn't drape well, but there are lots that do. Here's a great pic of Begonia boliviensis âÂÂBonfireâÂÂ

I think this kind also comes in pink and white.

{{gwi:539068}}

This post was edited by BarbJP on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 22:07

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Barb! Appreciate the suggestions. :-) Nemesia loves it in my yard, so definitely a great choice.

Patty S.

• devolet
    9 years ago

Lotus flower vine will spill over the edge and they like heat. The orange flowering one seems more robust than the red bloomer. It's too cool in my garden for them but a friend who has a hot deck in the sun got one in a four inch pot that has since filled a 10-inch planter from edge to edge in just a few weeks. It's covered with flowers.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, elysian. This is actually a very good option. All the nurseries have this in stock right now, as it's in full bloom.

Patty S.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I have never had much success growing in containers. I made a lovely hanging planting with Erigeron earlier this year. It was so airy I loved it. Sadly it died because I thought I did not need to water on the days that it rained. I was wrong. I tried again with Lobelia and so far so good.