Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Suck Bugs -- Again!!!

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 15:46

Double posted in the garden Clinic forum, but I need as much feedback as possible!

Here's what I got going this year in my IPM program ---

Blooming ---
Alyssum
Marigolds
1 Zinnia
1 Sunflower
Bachelor buttons
Golden Poppies
Borage

Some just bought Yarrow that's just beginning to bloom but they're small
1 Cosmos or Aster(can't remember) that hasn't started blooming just yet
Cilantro that's run it's course that attracted many beneficials while they were flowering and another freshly seeded barrel of them that won't be ready for awhile.

Here's my problem though ---

I just noticed a few Tomato Suck Bug(Cyrtopeltis modesta) adults on my tomatoes and these guys nail me every year on my indeterminates, sometimes bringing my season to nothing way before the ending of it. So, I thought I'd go a different route this year and grow Romas(determinate) and Celebrity(semi-determinate).

According to the UC IPM website, control is the same as it is for stink bugs and lygus bugs. So, damsel, minute pirate, and big-eyed bugs. Not sure if anything i have growing attracts these.

Question: Do you think there might be some flowering starts at a local nursery or garden center available right now that will attract these good guys? Preferably drought tolerant and long blooming.

What plants do you use to attract these? Got some names for some that you experts use?

Thanks.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Suck Bugs -- Again!!!

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 20:56

Can you try spinosad on the tomatoes?

o

hoovb: I stopped using Spinosad since it's rather broad spectrum and does a pretty good number on the predators of those that one is trying to control. About the only pesticides I use nowadays are Bt; and occasionally neem, soap, and sulfur. I prefer to let the good bugs fight for me if at all possible.

Why do you ask? Have you had good luck with it for the Tomato Bug.

Kevin

o

forgive if i'm repeating my reply, but it looks like the one i did a few days ago has vanished.

i've got tomato suck bugs as well. i'm in los angeles, btw - have had 'em for years now. a former commercial tomato grower said the problem stems from poor soil, so i've been using lots of organic amendments - coffee grounds, my compost, municipal (but award-winning) compost, worm poop, compost tea and organic fertilizer.

have recently planted marigolds but should try the borage. tomatillos growing in the same beds are unaffected which is odd since they're solanaceae as well. i have tithonias growing in the beds, and they don't seem to be helping the problem, also have 2 mature tagetes lemmonii growing within a few feet, and have seemingly no effect. i've even taken some leaves & branches off and put them in the beds to try and ward the damned tsb's away but they persist. i have tried captain jack's deadbug (with spinosad), neem oil and a dr. earth product and none of them really seem to do anything to the buggers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here