Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Looking for Dymondia/Thyme Sources

I'm trying to find a nursery in the OC/San Diego area that sells flats of Dymondia, Elfin and Wooley Thyme groundcover flats at a reasonable price. Since I need so much, I'm trying to find the most economical source. Best price I've found is $13.00/flat, which is still going to be about a $500 investment. Anyone know of a good source for these groundcovers? I'm in N. San Diego county, but could drive up to OC to pick up the 30-35 flats I'm going to need.

Patty S.

Comments (6)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

The best price I have seen up here in Ventura and the San Fernando Valley is 11.90 a flat- on sale. Most of the time I see them for about 15.00.

Can you get a large quantity discount?

Wooly Thyme grows really fast for me, if that helps at all.

Renee

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Renee. I found one grower up in Temecula - Hall's Plant Nursery - that offers ground cover flats for $7.00. They currently do not grow either of the Thymes or the Dymondia but are searching for growers that will swap with them. I'm hoping to hear back from them in the next few days. Would really be great since I need about 30 flats all together, so I can plug all along side the steps as well as between the steps, and plug closely, so it all fills in quickly. Dymondia does not seem to grow very fast for me, although I have read it speads quickly. Apparently not in my clayish/DG soil!

Patty S.

• msh23
    13 years ago

Hi -

I know you put your Dymondia in last summer but I'm wondering where you ended up buying the flats and what kind of price you found in the San Diego area. I want to put this in the front yard but I need a lot so price matters - driving to pick it up isn't an issue. thanks again for your help.

• elvie z9CA
    13 years ago

I planted an area this summer which is filling in ok,(though not as fast as creeping thyme) but the weeds are coming up through it, so it is taking quite a lot of weeding effort. I hope it eventually will be dense enough so the weeds won't be an issue.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

msh23,
    I ended up getting my Dymondia at Evergreen Nursery in Oceanside. They had the best product, but not necessarily the best price. Dymondia is expensive. I think because it grows pretty slowly. Just about everywhere I looked it was $13 to $15 a flat. Occasionally Lowe's has it as does Home Depot, but no price break at all - same price. It also needs a fair amount of water to establish itself. If you can, plant it during the winter or early spring, so it has a chance to get established before it gets hot.

Patty S.

• sjones1360
    12 years ago

Green Thumb Nursury is a good source. I've bought a few flats of Dymondia from them in the $15 to $20 range. Armstrongs had them for $25 which was too steep in my opinion.

They do grow slow. Shade, cooler temps and frequent light initial waterings seem to speed up the growth.