Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Struggling with plant choice for difficult spot

peachymomo
11 years ago

I'm looking for the right plant to put in a very challenging spot. It is an area against a west facing fence that gets a lot of shade in the winter from tall trees to the south, but in the summer it gets full sun for the hottest hours of the day, from about 1pm to 6pm. The space to the north gets more sun in the winter and is suitable for certain roses, honeysuckle, lavender, etc. To the south there is more shade and it is suitable for a large rhododendron or something. Between those two places is a narrow strip (in the design only, right now it's just a rectangular blank slate,) about 6' wide by 20' long, that I am struggling with deciding what to do with. It would be a good place for either a line of tall, narrow shrubs, or possibly vines on a trellis. I'm wondering if Nandina or Trachelospermum jasminoides might be suitable, and if not what might work instead?

Comments (5)

• bahia
    11 years ago

Both the Nandina and Star Jasmine will certainly take those conditions, but of course will groww either more densely or sparsely given a continuous row planting with varying light. If you want them all to look the same, don't have the same plant span the light continuum. I'd suggest the Trachelospermum as perhaps the better choice.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I'd plant both. It's a long strip, so you could stagger some tall nandinas with a few Gulf Streams in groups, and have some jasmine on a trellis or tuteur somewhere in the mix. There's someone on the rose forum who uses huge tripods leaning up against her fence for climbing roses- very pretty. I'd also use foxtail asparagus ferns (gasp). The impossible to remove Fortnight lily (dietes, morea, whatever it is now)takes those conditions, but it's as bad as asparagus ferns. There are probably more and better options in your zone, though. You could also put some plants on sticks. That mixes it up a bit. I use Sprenger asparagus for that. Ivy might work too, and wire plant is an option. If they touch the ground, though, you will have issues.
    Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I have the same spot. Nandina did great there. One thing about Nandina, if it is too close to a wall or fence it leans outward away from the wall or fence. Something to keep in mind. The Trach will be fine as well if it gets sufficient water in the summer.

I switched to 'Green Tower' Boxwood because of the leaning problem of the Nandina. That did great, too.

• onederw
    11 years ago

I always pooh-poohed privet (ligustrum) until I faced this kind of problem myself. There's a reason why it's so common--it works. I used it for a screening problem, so tall was good. For your situation, however, it may get taller than you might like.

Kay

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much everyone!

I think I will go with a mix of Star Jasmine and Nandina, I have a bunch of Privet in other parts of the property and I don't really want to add any more. Boxwood in an interesting idea, it is never the first plant to come to my mind but it does look good year round. For the shorter plants in front I was thinking of putting a 'drift' of sedge, I seem to remember that they are supposed to do well in sun or shade...

It's going to be a while before I can get things moving, but some day I hope to post beautiful pictures as a thank you for all the wonderful advice :o)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional