Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
California Poppies

Posted by deviant-deziner Oh zone (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 16:35

Last fall we installed a new landscape out at the coast ( northern cal) to fill in between the young plants I sowed a mix of poppies - 75 % california and 25 % red .
This photo was taken the first week in June and I've learned some good lessons.
A little seed goes a long way ! We have had to hand pull a lot of poppies because they were shading out the succulents and some of the smaller shrubs such as rosemary and ornamental grasses.
Some of the rosemary actually started to rot from lack of light.
A 1/2 pound of seed was broadcasted over a 1/4 of an acre. I could have used half that amount.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: California Poppies

That's beautiful! What is the red/orange flowering plant? It looks like an agastache

o

I love it!

o

I also love it,the more the better,i say!!
Kathi

o

Yes. Did any of the red ones grow, or did they get crowded out by the california?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 0:22

looks great. is that yucca 'bright star' in the foreground?

o

Thanks for all of your kind comments.
I bought the poppies in bulk at Harmony Farm Supply in Sebastopol and they were nice enough to package the seed separately.
I tried to keep the red (Papaver rhoeas) separate from the orange (Eschscholzia californica). The red are 3 times as tall as the orange and those were the ones whose taller + wider leaf foliage caused too much of a good thing. - both varieties were equally aggressive growers.

Hoovb - excellent eye , yes , that is Yucca bright star in the foreground.

Central Cali - the reddish orange plant behind the purple Salvia leucantha is Kangaroo Paws ( Anigozanthos Velvet Amber )

This picture shows a wider angle with some Kniphofias in the foreground.

o

Breathtaking. I see the red poppies now.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 20:21

GORGEOUS, Michele, as always. You do such beautiful work!

I actually have to sow some poppy seeds every few years because they do try to smother other plants, so I yank them out. But then, of course, they won't always reseed themselves where I want them to be - hence the periodic resowing!

I love those red ones, but they don't do as well for me in reseeding themselves. And the white and purple ones were really wimpy. I think I have too much shade in most of my beds, unfortunately.

o

• Posted by manifest USDA 11a, Sunset 24, (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 21:19

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here