Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristy_asao

I have questions

Kristy Asao
9 years ago

I live in the LA area.

Is it okay to mist/leave water droplets on plants? And what does it mean when I have yellow leaves? Too much water? Thank you!

Comments (14)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Is it okay to mist/leave water droplets on plants.

Generally it's just fine, but there are exceptions. Rose leaves can get disease if they are constantly wet. Some succulent leaves will rot if they are constantly wet. If they dry out during the day, then they are fine. What plant are you talking about?

Yellow leaves: depends on the plant. One reason leaves yellow is that the plant is through with them and is letting them die (yes, plants do that). They could be yellow because they are not getting enough fertilizer. They could be yellow because they are getting too much fertilizer. They could be getting too much sun. They could be getting not enough sun.

In other words, it's not a simple answer. Tell us what plant you have, how long you have had it, about how old the plant is, where it is in the garden or in the house, and you'll get a better answer.

• Kristy Asao
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Milkweed. Tropical Milkweed I'm talking about. Some are in the ground/soil (outside) some are in pots. Some of the Tropical Milkweed are older, some are newer. The 1 with yellow leaves I got on June 3rd. They are store-bought plants! Most of my plants came in 1 gallon pots. I've recently gotten into this. Thank you so much!!

Oh, about fertilizer, something that's been recommended to me and that I've been doing! I've got really dry soil. Using organic Mulch. I've been using fruits, vegetables, coffee grounds for Mulch.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

are all the leaves yellow or just a few. Are they yellow just at the bottom of the plant or all over?

Milkweed does get yellow leaves. They grow quite fast and usually keep ahead of the leaves that yellow by growing new green ones.

If your soil is dry, water it. Newly planted plants need more water than those that have been in the ground for several months. And those plants in the ground for several months need more water than those that have been in the ground a year.

When you say you are using fruits, vegetables for mulch, what does that mean? You are putting scraps around your plants?

• Kristy Asao
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! It started on the bottom then worked up towards the middle. Ah it does ah? Wow. This 1 hasn't sadly (kept up). Will do. Okay. Yeah, scraps. Not a good Mulch idea? :-/ What's the best Mulch? Thank ya!

• Kristy Asao
    Original Author
    9 years ago

? What's the best Mulch, guys? Thank you!

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

Kitchen scraps aren't a good mulch - they need to be composted first and I would think you might start getting mold and other nasties from it, i.e. critters after the snacks etc. You can bury those scraps deep in your bed or compost them in a bin. Mulch and compost are different - mulch is used to insulate the soil more than give it nutrients, though some mulches do both.

You can use a lot of other things for mulch - straw, lawn clippings, newspaper - lots of discussions about this - I have been using composted soil amendment as I had it on hand but thinking about trying newspaper next. Check out the link below for ideas and info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable garden mulches

• Kristy Asao
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay now I know. I don't want a blanket for my soil. That's weird. Lol What's the best compost? I want ground/soil nutrients for my plants. Thanks alot!

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

It seems like you're confusing fertilizer, compost and mulch.

'Oh, about fertilizer, something that's been recommended to me and that I've been doing! I've got really dry soil. Using organic Mulch. I've been using fruits, vegetables, coffee grounds for Mulch.'

Mulch is always a good idea - especially in Los Angeles as it keeps the soil from drying out too quickly. So yes, you actually do want a blanket lol ;) It's not weird, it's crucial.

However, it sounds like really you're looking for fertilizer - of which there are a million kinds. You said above that you are fertilizing but did you mean the kitchen scraps?

I did a quick search and posted a link below. But you should research what your plant needs more thoroughly. Sounds like milkweed doesn't require fertilizer. I would just watch your watering and make sure you're not over or underwatering. You may want to post over in the Butterfly forum as those folks are knowledgable about milkweed I bet - I assume you are growing it for the Monarchs?

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: milkweed and fertilizer

• Kristy Asao
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Slow! Straw it is. :-) Didn't know about the butterfly message board! :-O And yes, I am. ^__^

• Kristy Asao
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got a Passion Flower over the weekend. ^__^ since I'm new to this, I've got more questions. What time(s) of day can I water? What are my options? Should I water from a hose? What I have been using are these water gallon cartons for watering. What are my options? I don't wanna hurt the caterpillars or the predators that eat the stupid aphids that I have. Thank you! From here, I heard Cypress mulch is the best for dry soil.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

water early morning or late afternoon.

use whatever method you like to water.

water getting on an insect won't hurt it. they are used to living outside and getting wet.

Mulch is a local product. Cypress mulch is something you'd find in Florida or Louisiana. You won't find it here. What you get here is composted shredded trees of varying species. Just go to a big box store like Lowes, OSH, Do-It, or Home Depot and buy however many bags you need. Get the stuff that has been composted, or is chopped bark, not the raw wood chips that have been dyed a weird and unnatural orange or black. Renew the mulch as it breaks down. Over time it will enrich the soil and make it better and better.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

This should be a new thread with a different and specific title Protego - probably why you didn't get any answers. Also, you can always do a general internet search to get a sense of that plant's needs and then come back with specific concerns that aren't covered elsewhere.

But to speak to your question, I watered my passion vine every week for a couple of months but once it was established, it doesn't need water really at all and is growing like crazy.

Also there is a passiflora (passion vine) forum too. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion vine care

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

ah i see hoovb responded. ;) i think i was writing at the same time.

• Kristy Asao
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Hoovb! Aaah I didn't know that (about Mulch). Was just going by what was suggested to me. Lol I see. Alright. And Slow, I didn't know that. I didn't wanna spam (posting more than 1 topic). Now I know (I can do various topics). Stupid me, about not knowing about that message board. Lol Thank ya!