Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlemom_gw

Too late to plant?

turtlemom_gw
12 years ago

I want to plant blueberries and raspberries. Can they still be planted this time of year or would it be best to wait until next spring?

Comments (5)

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

I'd be interested in an answer too. I just bought a Star highbush blueberry plant yesterday, and thought of planting it in a large pot. Need to get Azalea/Camellia potting mix, and possibly some peat moss.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

If you are in Sunset 24 (right along the coast) you can plant any time. It's the most forgiving zone in the world. The farther inland you are, the more iffy it gets.

I'd wait until winter for raspberries and plant them from bare roots myself. Blueberries if you are just keeping them in pots (they are easy in pots) any time is fine. Afternoon shade away from the immediate coast, plant in straight Azalea/Camellia mix, and never ever ever let them dry out.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Thanks hoovb, so I don't need to add peat moss if I have the azalea/camellia mix? I did read somewhere to never let them dry out.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

If you're in Sunset 23 or 24, you're just fine. I just planted 3 more blueberries and two more blackberries (actually a blackberry and a boysenberry). You definitely need to plant the blueberries in a mixture of compost and azalea/camellia mix, plus add 1/3 to 3/4 cup of soil sulfur as well, to acidify the mix. Then top with bark mulch at least 3 inches deep to help retain moisture and provide more organic (i.e. acidic) material. The blackberries would like it, too, but are more forgiving than blueberries. And hoovb is absolutely correct with the blueberries about NEVER EVER letting them get dried out. They will not recover. Period. Ask me how I know this ;-) I plant all my berries in pots, since our native soil is just too alkaline for blueberries, unless you want to dig a giant hole, then amend. And for blackberries, to keep them contained (I also have a concrete paver under the pot, too.) Lots of morning sun, and then afternoon shade during the hottest period of the day is perfect. I have mine on drips, and then every couple of weeks I drench with acidified water (I use vinegar) to get the pH of the water around 4.5-5.0. I periodically check the soil acidity with my pH meter. If I need to acidify the soil, I just top dress with a wee bit of aluminum sulfate (the stuff that makes hydrangeas turn blue). Warning - a little goes a LONG way. In doing all that, I have AWESOME blueberry plants and expect to continue to have blueberries for years to come. If I have a chance, I'll snap some pics for you. Oh, and as a last recommendation - gently break up the roots of your blueberries to prevent root shock. I've included a great link from Dave Wilson Nursery on how to grow blueberries in containers. It makes growing blueberries a no-brainer. They also have a You Tube video if you search for it as well. Search "Dave Wilson bluberries" and they should come up for you.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson Nursery - Growing Blueberries in Containers

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for all the info and website you provided Patty! If I do well with my Star blueberry, I might just buy a couple other different types. The Green Arrow by my house carries blackberries as well, but I thought I would start with blueberries and venture out to other types of berries if (oops, when) I succeed.