Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stephanotis in sun or in shade?

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 17:38

Hi all,
I found a stephanotis for seven dollars and couldn't resist. It's hot here in Simi Valley. Really hot. The label says to plant it in full sun. Somehow I just cannot imagine that would work- I have never seen one in full sun here.

I have a full-sun spot for it on a south-facing trellis in front of a dark brown wall (hot!).

I also have a big arbor under my pepper tree that gets lots of light, since the tree is thinned and limbed up. Roses bloom there, but irises do not. Can I plant it on that arbor and get any bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stephanotis in sun or in shade?

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 18:51

I have a Stephanotis that gets morning sun and it blooms very well. (Doesn't answer your question, but says that full sun isn't needed).

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 18:57

In cold climates Stephanotis is grown as a blooming houseplant, so your arbor should be ok.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 4:05

Mine does fine in full sun if it gets enough water. Morning sun and afternoon shade works, and requires less water.

o

I have one at the very edge of my porch in a pot...2007 was the last time it got burned. For what ever reason,this year didn't do much to it. And its blooming now instead of August. Warmer summer?
It needs to go in ground too. Same soils the last ten years or more. I'm just hard pressed to find the combo of dappled sun and something for it to climb on.

o

Well, it sounds like it should do just fine where I want it.
Thanks, all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here