Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy Tree

Posted by hmkalton California (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 17:42

I need suggestions for a tree that will grow quickly to hide a PGE high voltage powerline tower. While it will not be under the power lines, it will be close enough that a tall grower like a redwood would be out of the question. I am looking for something with thick foliage/coverage that will reach 35-45ft quickly. Evergreen preferred.

Any suggestions for something that would grow well in the Bay Are?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy Tree

How about Leyland Cypress?

Patty S.

o

What about a Pacific Wax Myrtle?

A handsome and fast-growing evergreen to 18 feet or more, adaptable to sun or shade, with bursts of new growth in lustrous light green set off against mature foliage of darker hue and waxier texture. Excellent when sheared as a hedge (it responds well to cutting) or pruned into a specimen tree by thinning the bushy branches to reveal their forking architecture. A proud community member of redwood forests and mixed oak woodlands in the Bay Area.

or

o

Arizona cypress is also very fast. Tecate Cypress is bushier but I'm not sure of the height as yet. I planted several 1-gallon last fall. They seem to be growing pretty rapidly.

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 14:00

I think tecate cypress gets maybe 15 feet tops. I have one I planted last winter. I planted it to be a visual screen as well. If it performs well I will add more.

I have a Dendromecon harfordii that is an awesome privacy screen. Its about 7 feet tall.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 20:34

Thuja 'Green Giant', maybe?

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA comments on Green Giant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here