Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikal1_gw

Help ID2 Please

Mikal1
10 years ago

This second one is a vine that appeared at the base of a Bougainvillea. I had asked about this one in the Vines forum a while back but I don't think I ever got any replies. The flowers look like Star Jasmine, but bigger. Any ideas? I have to decide to rip it out or to nurture it....

Comments (7)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides).

• lgteacher
    10 years ago

It looks like jasmine. You can try digging it up and relocating it.

• Mikal1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Folks. That's what I thought, but the size and grouping of the flowers is different than any of the Jasmine that I've seen around here. I showed a couple of pictures to one of the folks at the local Armstrongs, she stared intently for a good couple of minutes and then said she wasn't certain, she wasn't certain if it was a Jasmine or not.

But I think I like the idea of relocating it anyway. I think I'll move it to a pot and see what happens.

Thanks again.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Star Jasmine may be grown as a vine reaching to 20 feet, or as a ground cover up to 3 feet spreading over a large area. I don't think it is great as a pot plant. Al

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Mikal1 there are a lot of plants that are called jasmine - Armstrong should have recognized this one immediately but if she was thinking of true Jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum) she might have missed the ID. Star jasmine isn't really a jasmine, it's a Trachelospermum. Agree with Al that it is rather aggressive for a pot.

Sara

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Not a pot plant - my star jasmine is growing on the North side of our house in the No SF Bay Area, and it has reached the roof of our 3 story house. It is about 10 feet wide all the way up. We cut it back to 6 feet a couple of years ago when we had the house painted, and it only took 12 months to get as big as before! Your picture definitley looks like star jasmine to me - can you transplant it to a shady side of your house and let it go? Mine stays in bloom for weeks & weeks, and its fragrance scents the entire garden.

Jackie

• Mikal1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again everyone. Since the idea of potting the Jasmine wasn't a big hit, and since Jackie mentioned shade....I moved it to a spot where it will have a chance to go up and over an arched entryway. It won't get much direct sunlight at it's roots or for the first 6 feet or so, but it sounds like it may be fine with that.

I just noticed it a couple of months ago, so I was amazed at just how far it had made it already. From the looks of it it's a plant that someone had cut back to the ground previously and it just decided to take off again this spring. So we'll see how it does. Thx!