Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I.D. for two trees

Posted by eloise_ca 10 So. CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 18:23

I am trying to i.d. these two trees. This was also posted on the Tree site and got one possible confirmation. The leaf samples came from trees at CSUN (southern CA). Can anyone confirm that these are a Podocarpus gracilior (Fern Pine) and a Zelkova serrata (Sawleaf zelkova)? Thanks.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I.D. for two trees

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 10:28

I'll have to defer to others with regard to the Zelkova, but the first picture looks more like Geijera parviflora aka "Australian Willow," but the leaves are shriveled enough it's hard to say, it could even be something like Acacia maidenii.

o

The first photo doesn't look like my podocarpus. The leaves are shorter on mine. Can you get a photo of the trees?
Renee

o

Thank you both! The samples were given to me along with a small photo taken with a cell, but the photo is blurry. I will need to ask the exact location in CSUN where these trees are located so I can get a picture of the entire tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here