Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Nandina - invasive?

jenn
12 years ago

I'm considering Nandina for the late-afternoon sunny spot next to our patio, but I read some comments at another gardening site complaining about Nandina being invasive. Really? Is it true about some varieties but not others?

I'd like a variety that's grows 4-5 feet tall with an open lacy look, good fall color and berries, and NOT invasive.

Comments (9)

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I have 3 of them planted side by side,on the outer side of my porch.We grow them as a hedge,as that is how i like them.Where my DIL lives they have them all around the apts but not grown as a hedge.They look good no matter how you grow them.We've not found them to be invasive at all and ours has been there for more 15 years.

They're so pretty when the leaves change color and the berries come.We keep ours trimmed to 3.5 to 4ft.
    kathi

• homey_bird
    12 years ago

It is true and then it is not. Nandinas send out runners and you will find that newer plants grow aside the older ones; however it happens quite slowly. Therefore, you will get plenty of time to remove unwanted growth.

Hope this helps!

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. Kathi, have you seen any runners aside the original plants, as homey_bird described? I wonder if it depends on soil, amount of water, and which variety is planted.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I have lots and lots of them, and I only have one plant that sends out runners. I don't know if it is the plant or the perfect conditions in that spot, but it's no problem at all. If you want to keep them lacy, take out whole stems when you prune. The smaller 'Gulf Stream' nandinas are very thick and dense growing, not lacy or airy like the larger ones, but they can be thinned out.
    Renee

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

The east end of our house has a row of Nandinas over fifty years old. They grow all the way to the eves of the house. Every few years I will cut the largest stems right down to the ground. They can reseed themselves, and I have dug up probably less than 6 seedlings in all those years. They are a really low maintenance screening plant that I can recommend. Al

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you.

I should ask what type of soil all of you have. We have clay-on-steroids. About 10 years ago I planted a few (literally, a few, 3-5) Ipheion bulbs here and there in our front yard. Within a few years they colonized into huge patches that grew to the edge of nearby plants. I spent one long evening digging up HUNDREDS of those tiny bulbs in one of the original spots where I'd planted just a few. They also spread by seed to areas where I never planted a single bulb. Someone on this forum said she has Ipheion and never had a problem with them spreading.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Have you had anything but the bulbs become a problem? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. It was probably just magical conditions for that particular plant.
    Renee

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee: No, because now I am very cautious. I planted them before I knew better. I think the description I read was something like "will grow in any soil, sun or shade" -- LOL -- that should have been my first clue. Plant descriptions are often like real estate: "cozy" means "very small"... "lots of potential" means "needs lots of work", etc. In gardening terms, "grows anywhere, sun or shade, clay or sand, little water or lots" means "keep the shovel and pruners handy!"

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Jenn, I don't think Nandina is invasive here in California. In the Southern part of the United States especially the gulf coast, however, it's a different story. Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, N. Carolina and Florida have issues with this plant, especially in the wetlands, and is on several of those states' invasive plant lists. I have grown Nandina and remember it very well in my parent's yard, and it was always mild-mannered. It can spread via partial roots as well as seeds, but I rarely see it appear in other places. I have one plant growing in my south side of my yard in the shady understory, and it has really not expanded or sent out runners. It stays in a neat, 3' tall lacy mound, and has not really grown overly much since we moved in about 2 years ago. If you go to Dave's Garden, you'll all the folks from California saying what I'm saying, and the folks from Texas, Florida and Georgia all giving it very negative comments due to its invasive habit in the more hot and humid climates of the gulf coast states.

Patty S.