Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tithonia - Mexican Sunflower

Posted by chezron 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 19:25

How does Tithonia rotundifolia grow in San Diego? How big does it get? Is it annual where it doesn't freeze? Does it reseed? I do know that gophers like it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tithonia - Mexican Sunflower

It was an annual for me. It got tall- over four feet as I recall. It did not reseed, but that's because I deadhead. I imagine you could collect seed, though. I love the color.
Renee

o
RE: Tithonia - Mexican Sunflower

I grew it in Mission Viejo. It would get 6-8' tall over a trellis; I would prune it back hard late in the year. It did freeze during the odd cold snaps, but came back and recovered quickly. At least in the more temperate regions of SoCal. It does reseed. I asked my hubby to not harm them because I wanted to transplant one or two when we moved; he forgot and gave them all a drench of Round-up. sigh I only had the plant 1 1/2-2 years and found 5-6 seedlings. A more mature plant may produce more seedlings. Mine was located in an area where there was little opportunity for seed to get going; in a different location, the seedlings may be more numerous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here