Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass as a Ground Cover in LA

Posted by atrojnusc Los Angeles, CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 19:47

I have a planter bed that is relatively small (2 ft depth) that gets little to no sun. I'm thinking of using ornamental grass to fill in the area with a mix of some plants that thrive in shade. After visiting a couple of local nurseries, I'm considering mondo grass. Does anybody have any experience with this grass? In addition, do you know of any other ornamental grasses that would thrive in a shady area and are drought resistant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass as a Ground Cover in LA

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 1:50

It spreads pretty good, so if you have an isolated planter bed it will fill it up eventually. I have the variegated version and it brightens up a gloomy spot very well, though my own personal preference is the dwarf version since it has a neater more uniform appearance. It does need some water, though not like a turf grass.

Not a grass at all, but strappy-leaved Clivia does well in deep shade and provides bright orange flowers. It is easy care and needs little water.

Blue Moor Grass, Sesleria caerulea prefers quite a bit of shade, but it likes a little sun and needs regular water to look pretty.

Hakonechloa macra, either the green, the gold, or the variegated version is exquisitely beautiful and does well in full shade, but drought tolerant it ain't.

Carex solandrii is fairly good in full bright shade, but looks better in dappled sunlight or some morning sun. It needs less water than Blue Moor or Hakone, but still needs water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here