Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cocoa Shell Mulch

Posted by Tonton101 CA 8B (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 19:52

Anyone tried using cocoa mulch? I have access to cocoa shell and I am wondering if I should remulch my fruit trees with cocoa mulch instead of bark mulch.

Since cocoa beans are slightly acidic I am really interested in mixing cocoa mulch with the potting soil I use to grow blueberries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cocoa Shell Mulch

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 22:02

Use soil sulphur to acidify soil, not mulch.

Plant your blueberries in straight acid (camellia-azalea) mix. I've done that and it works well. We just ate a big bowl of home grown blueberries for dessert. Yummy!

The big drawback I see to cocoa mulch is the price. If you can get it for free, go for it. Just put more on top when the bark starts breaking down. No need to replace.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 15:08

wow, lucky you! I love using cocoa mulch. Another drawback - it's poisonous to dogs, I believe. Sometimes it will grow a white mold, but ignore it, it's nothing serious.

o

I was going to say that I stopped using it in soil mixes for germination or containers because of the rapid fungal growth I always get when it is wet, but it smells wonderful, is high in N and the fungi never seemed to hurt my plants in the ground, although it can look unsightly at times.

o

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I have a friend that works in the confectionary field so I have access to cocoa shell mulch. I already removed pine bark mulches from two of my blueberry plants and put cocoa shell mulches on them.

I used to have a dog but that was few years back. Interesting enough my 70 lbs rough collie once ate a 3 pound block of chocolate! He was able to meticulously peel the wrapper (paper and aluminum) off from the chocolate bar and ate the whole thing! He was okay afterward though.... I guess he was big enough to not to get sick from that chocolate bar :p

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here