Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ouch, my skin

Posted by tressa SECA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 20:04

Do any of you gardeners suffer from contact dermititis or eczema? Every spring/summer I end up spending time inside to recover from my eczema flare-ups from pruning and weeding. God help me if I touch something that my skin doesn't like. Wearing gloves even creates problems. I have been putting up with this all of my life - but more so the last couple of years when I finally have time to REALLY garden. I need some suggestions/advice from any of you that deal with this!!! Please! sob....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ouch, my skin

Yes, I do, tressa. Junipers and burmuda grass (which I am still terribly allergic to). I remember trying to feed my horses bermuda grass. That was disasterous! I use long gloves that cover my lower arms (my awesome rose gloves) when I know I'm going to be touching plants I have issues with. You can also try Ivy Stop, which halts the contact dermatitis associated with Poison Ivy, or try putting on Benadryl Gel before you go out and garden. And, be sure to come in and wash immediately using liquid dishwashing soap, to strip off any plant oils, then smooth on Benadryl Gel and some hydrocortisone cream as well. Lastly, if you know you're for sure going to have a reaction, take your allergy medication before you go out and garden. I often have to do this during allergy season for my hayfever symptoms. I take it in the evening every evening and that helps my hayfever as well as my contact dermatitis issues. Lastly, if this is really terrible, talk with your doctor for stronger script topical creams that you can try if the above suggestions don't help you out.

Patty S. (RN)

o

It might be some of the plant oils etc. Shower immediately, leave your shoes outside or in garage etc, wash the clothes seperatly, don't touch your face and make sure your nails are cleaned.
Pine trees bother me and will have a rash for just a day from being poked.
I get the red dots when poked by my sago but it goes away in an hour or so.
If I were you I would wear long sleeves and pants and maybe take an antihistimine or see a dermatologist.

o

Thank you, Patty, for all of your advice. I am going to be more diligent - as soon as I can get this ezcema cleared up. And gobluedjim....I am going to cut my nails really short (never thought about that) and yes, shower immediately. My doc called in 3 different prescriptions because nothing seemed to work. I am definately going to get some of that gel Patty.

It all started when I got a new electric weed-eater. I have a generator in the back of DH's Rhino so I can drive around the property with electricity. We had so much rain and weeds this year that my agressive weed-eating really did a number on me and my allergies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here