Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bnewcol

Coral Tree problem

bnewcol
9 years ago

For the past 2 years, half of the tree has not leafed out, and when it does, the leaves are small, light green and it never fully leafs out. It has some warts along the limbs of the branches that don't leaf out, and dark spotting (fungus?) that I'm not sure what it is. The spots are showing up now on another lower trunk of one of the sections that gets small leaves. I am hoping the tree is salvagable. I planted it 9 years ago, was told it's cristagali (?) but not sure. It is big and would be $$ to remove. Here is pic of how big the leaves get. I got a soaker hose and soaked for 2 days due to the drought here. I will post 2 more pics of the warts and dark areas

Comments (15)

• bnewcol
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the warts

• bnewcol
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the discoloration

• pforrester
    9 years ago

I don't know what is wrong with your tree. If you don't get a good answer. I would try a radical cut back (Pollarding) of all the major branches. But not sure if you should wait till fall or do it now. Your poor tree is fighting for its life. We have a beautiful wedding venue here in Fallbrook, north San Diego County with large beautiful gardens. They really lop off most of the branches to keep it in shape, you can see pic below at the Grand Tradition. I have two coral trees if I did not know what else to do that is what I would try.

• surfcitysocal
    9 years ago

The "warts" look a little like cushiony cotton scale, an insect parasite, but hoovb is probably right, it's probably fungal. I had some cushiony cotton scale on a tree and I hand-picked them off about 3 or 4 years ago. I haven't seen them since. You could take a sample of the "warts" to a knowledgeable local nursery and they might be able to tell you what it is and provide some advice as to what you might be able to do.

• bnewcol
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you all for the replies. the "warts" are actually very hard. I will try to shave one off and take to the nursery where I got the tree, see what they say. I don't know if I should cut it back now, if that will stress it more.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

The warts, as faolks are calling them are fungus growing on deaad wood.

Contact several Certified Arborists for an onsite evaluation.
    And realize that coral trees are considered weak wood. Brittle, break, and not necessarily long-lived.

• bnewcol
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wanted to let you all know that a plant professor from UC Riverside was here (he's plotting the shot hole borer insect problem) and determined it is a fungus, the warts are actually the "mushroom bloom" of the fungus. He said the tree is dying. Several of the branches are already dead. I will try to salvage it by a heavy prune of the diseased limbs and see if I can save it. thank you all for your input.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

I didn't see this post..if I had...would have said the same as the arborist. I've seen that on my own ornamental tree's...then they die. I think the cause is too much water,moisture, near the base of the tree's. ..some plants need that area to be dry. My guess.

• bnewcol
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, he said cause is it was badly pruned when last pruned. and possibly too much water. intersting thing is, the fungus is starting from the top down, not down at the bottom where you would think if it's a water at the base issue.

9 years ago

Well,sometimes the roots are first to go soft and fungus..then that of course travels up the tree. It might have enough good root system to recover. Leave it on the dry side and see if new buds break out.
    The Prof. didnt give a fatal diagnosis. Good luck.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update. If the main trunk is infected with that fungus, it's a goner.

• Carol Pollock
    last year

Carol here
    The leaves of our coral tree have white/ translucent spots on them, some leaves are curling and appear to be dying. Plz help us
    Carolapollock@yahoo.com

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    last year

hi Carol,

I'm afraid I can't help - I don't know much about coral trees except to admire them.

However, if you don't hear from anyone, I'd start a new thread. And also, you might want to put up some photos.

I hope your tree is okay!

last year
    last modified: last year

They are not evergreen. So it could be shedding them? Or you do have a fungus. That is usually treated with copper. Many brands sold use that.