Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leucaddendron yellowing leaves

Posted by manifest USDA 11a, Sunset 24, (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 22:42

I purchased a gorgeous Leucadendron 'Silvan Red' about a month ago from a local nursery. I planted it into a spot that gets morning to midday sun. It seemed to do well up until about a week ago when the leaves at the base of the plant began to turn yellow and fall off.

I've only given it water twice (every other week) since I've planted it. We have beach sand that I added some garden amendment to...I'm trying to figure out what could be the cause of the yellowing leaves, but I haven't a clue.

I even checked my moisture meter and it indicates on a scale of 1-10 that the soil around the plant is about a level 4. Moist to the point of almost being dry, but not wet.

Any ideas about a possible cause for the yellowing leaves?

This post was edited by manifest on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 22:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leucaddendron yellowing leaves

• Posted by manifest USDA 11a, Sunset 24, (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 22:47

Here's another photo with a close up. When the plant was first purchased, all the leaves save for the blooming tips were more of a gorgeous green with a red/burgundy tinge along the edge rather than a bright yellow. It's my first Leucadendron, so I'm in the discovery phase of my relationship with this beauty!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:09

Beach sand from the beach?!?

o

• Posted by manifest USDA 11a, Sunset 24, (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:27

Whoops. What I meant to write is that we're by the beach and the soil is extremely sandy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here