Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not sure what plants for edging

Posted by canicci (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 22:53

We have a few garden beds in our backyard that we are redoing. They get part sun-shade and we're in the Glendale area (not far from Descanso Gardens) . Here are 2 pictures. The tree in the first picture is a sycamore and the tree in the 2nd photo is a flowering plum (thundercloud). The 3rd garden bed will be started from scratch with camellia and small Japanese Maple. All 3 garden beds have star of jasmine growing on trellis against the wall behind the bed.

We like the mexican heather that is in the bottom left of the 2 photos and as it does well in our yard, we thought we could use that for the edge around the garden beds, but wanted to interplant it with something. We're not sure what to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We don't have to keep the mexican heather, it's just proven to be indestructible and this area is prone to snails (though as we're cleaning up the entire yard, we hope to be doing away with their hidey-holes.)

Thanks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not sure what plants for edging

Hi Canicci,

Are you going to keep the plants that you already have in the beds, aside from the Mexican Heather?

I don't edge my beds, so I'm kind of at a loss on this topic. If you like the Mexican Heather, you could plant a whole bunch of it, and reserve the area to the back of the bed for something a little taller. Depending on how much room there is, golden Breath of Heaven might work. If it's shady enough, Japanese Holly fern is pretty, but it gets really big.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here