Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I actually ate some of my hard earned fruit this year!

Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 23:03

Last year the birds got the entire crop but I managed to eat about a cup of mulberries from my huge 'Oscar" tree this year because I made net bags out of tulle and bagged the ends of about 10 of the lowest branches. Next year I may double the netting because the birds finally learned to peck little holes when they could see a ripe berry.
Last fall I planted a year-old dwarf mulberry and it was easy to defend it with a cage. I ate all ten berries it produced! Think I will plant another one this fall.
Good luck in the wars, everybody. Min

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I actually ate some of my hard earned fruit this year!

My best year yet for Apricots. Picked enough for about 10 pies which I hope to get done and into the freezer today. Al

o

You've worked to hard to defend your crop! Congratulations.

o

Hurray for you, Min!
I lost my nectarines this year again, so the tree is coming out. The avocados, however, were almost unscathed. I think Mikey and Sam the Dog removed the rodents who knew what, when, and where the avocados are, and it has taken the new generation until this week to rediscover them. I put bird netting over my cukes and eggplants, and that has prevented further losses. Avocados and cukes for everyone!
Renee

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 16:02

Inquiring minds want to know your secret, Al or are there no rodents at your place?
Min

o

Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 16:18

Thank you Socks- we all need some commiseration when we discover that we have been robbed. It helps that others understand (and often share) the frustration. It's Us against Them and they outnumber us! An ancient war i know. I keep thinking of the "First Farmer," wearing an animal skin, who has grubbed out a little plot of land and made food grow, only to find that it was stolen overnight. I bet he threw some rocks! Min

o

There are now less rats here. Last year I used over $200 worth of rat poison. In mid season we were quite popular with the buzzard population, one landed 20 feet from our front window, very impressive! Al

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 12:18

The kind of rat poison that won't hurt birds that eat dead rats?

o

Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 12:46

Good for you hoovb- i wanted to ask the same thing! Min

o

Yay congrats! I'm with you, Calistoga. Learned a thing or two about proper watering practices and saw our 2 Apricot trees EXPLOde this year. Last year we had about 5 total apricots, and one of the trees didn't produce anything. This year, there is no way we can eat all the fruit. Friends and family have been benefitting :)

o

I remember my grandfather putting small paper bags on every persimmon that he could. It looked like a lunch bag tree!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here