Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Photos of Sonoma/Mendocino CA gardens

jakkom
10 years ago

Altho technically this belongs in The Garden Traveler forum, hardly anyone posts there and right now there's mostly spam messages. So I'll ask everyone's indulgence and post some garden photos from our recent Sonoma/Mendocino County trip. I'm usually on the Cottage Gardening forum, and took photos of three public gardens: two very well-known, and one quite obscure one.

This thread shows photos from the MacCallum House B&B in Mendocino, CA, and the Hallberg Butterfly Gardens in Santa Rosa, CA. We also visited the famous Mendocino Botanical Gardens and those photos will be on a separate thread - there's a lot of them! Hope you enjoy these:

MacCallum House, Mendocino. A famous historical B&B, they have multiple buildings and some very lovely plantings. Four hours north of San Francisco, it's on the coast, cool and foggy. I live less than 5 hrs SE, but my callas are almost gone compared to these!
{{gwi:542666}}

Standing in the same spot as above, but turning to the right: this 2-story bldg used to be the barn, and has been renovated into guesthouses. Kids love to play on that long stretch of lawn!
{{gwi:542668}}

This plant is rarely seen in CA: McH has both pink- and white-flowering angelica:
{{gwi:542670}}

A single petal rose is past its prime and drenched with raindrops:
{{gwi:542672}}

Alstroemeria was everywhere in Mendocino. This orange variety was with "Johnson's Blue" geranium:
{{gwi:542674}}

A pink alstroemeria:
{{gwi:542676}}

A lovely bearded iris:
{{gwi:542678}}

===========

The little-known Hallberg Butterfly Gardens in Santa Rosa CA was a delight. Louise Hallberg is a charming lady who is 96 years young! She has lived all her life on the family farm, which is now a 9-acre designed butterfly habitat. All the plants are for the benefit of local bird and insect life. She loves to show busloads of schoolkids the lifecycle of the many butterflies.

We only saw a few varieties (it changes according to season) but made it up in quantity - we saw over two dozen butterflies on our little 1/2 mile tour. This is CA Wine Country, and I can recommend if you are traveling with kids, make an appointment and stop by. It's a refreshing change from the usual tourist places.

Most of the butterflies we saw were this one: the Pipevine Swallowtail. This is a male, the females are all-black:
{{gwi:542680}}

The Western Tiger Swallowtail is one I also have in my garden:
{{gwi:542682}}

A very striking Widow Skimmer dragonfly. My thanks to Andrew Williams of CritterZone, courtesy of Google Images. We saw this amazing dragonfly but I couldn't get a photo of it fast enough. It's extremely large, easily as big as my spouse's hand!:
{{gwi:542684}}

An old single petal rose had all the bees around it:
{{gwi:542685}}

This is a CA buckeye tree in full bloom:
{{gwi:542686}}

Abutilon makes the hummingbirds and hummingbird moths very happy:
{{gwi:542687}}

I don't know the name of this striking plant, although it grows in our sunnier microclimates. The brilliant flower color is amazing against the silver-gray leaves/stems:
{{gwi:542688}}

The trees below are now dead, but Ms. Hallberg had the trunks saved so visitors can see how the acorn woodpeckers hid their acorns away. Sadly, she says she hasn't seen any in several years now. With increased urbanization surrounding her property, some species of wildlife and insects have shown considerable decline in her garden.
{{gwi:542689}}

Comments (9)

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for the lovely tour! It is nice to see some old favorites with different partners growing beside them. I was curious about the plant you called angelica; I purchased one long ago that looked identical from Bluestone, but it had the name Thalictrum (meadow rue). Angelica seemed different when I did an image search. [Reeeeeally different searching for angelica--lol. Then I added perennial to the search line to find images of plants.] The red-calyxed abutilons are my favorites, and your photo reminds me I still need to pick up one for the garden. Nice butterfly photos, too. Glad you shared your visit in this forum also, because I am still have not made it to all of them here in GW.

• northbay12
    10 years ago

I think the gray-stemmed pink flowers are Rose Campion, Lychnis coronaria, one of my favorite reseeding perennials.
    Thanks for sharing the pics!

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Thank you jkom for the photos. I love buckeye trees!

• socks
    10 years ago

Very beautiful. I love the alostroemeria (sp) and geranium color combo, lavender and orange. I saw that recently with marigolds and petunias, and it's very attractive. Thanks for sharing the pix.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    10 years ago

Thank you jkom. I have to find some of that blue geranium.

• wcgypsy
    10 years ago

The photo of the abutilons is my favorite also. That's a beautiful shot. I will have to have some of those...the California Buckeye is on my list of 'must have some' also. Yes, Rose Campion ...one of my favorite minglers....like it in white also.

Thank you for the brief tour. Anytime you want to share your garden shots with us, we're all here waiting.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing these lovely shots.
    kay

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

enjoyed the tour of my old 'hood.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Wow! What gorgeous places to visit!!! I followed two butterflies around my yard to see what plants they were liking so I will plant More!!! I have that Alstroemeria. It is sheltered beside the house and is very happy!!! Thanks for all your lovely pics!