Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewabramson

Moved ferns not doing well. Can they be saved?

Andy
10 years ago

The previous owner had some tall ferns (not sure on ID) in a non-optimal spot near the house, so, rather than cutting them down, I tried to move them.

They don't seem to be doing very well! Any advice on how to save them?

it's been 2-3 weeks, and I moved them from full sun to partial sun.

{{gwi:542829}}
{{gwi:542830}}
{{gwi:542831}}

Comments (4)

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Well, I would keep up a regular watering schedule and just wait and see. The dead leaves can be cut off later if new growth appears.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I think it depends on the species. My woods are full of native ferns that I can move with no problems. My son who lives in Paradise Pines has moved lots of them up to his garden. Al

• bahia
    10 years ago

Your tree ferns are Cyathea cooperi/Australian tree ferns. It is likely that you didn't get a large enough root ball when you moved them. Likely these are going to die, regardless of what you do/don't do now. This tree fern is easily available at mass market nurseries and are also fast growing, so easily replaced. A proper sized root ball for these would likely require a 4 foot diameter by 12 to 18 inches deep, and would have been best done in several steps over a couple of months to reduce transplant shock.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I used to have this Australian tree fern for years and it did extremely well.Every year at xmas season I decorated it with all red balls,and I also grew some Spanish moss on it.

Fast forward to a few years ago,we had an unusually cold winter,and I lost mine to the frost.

One thing I learned while I had it was to always wear long sleeves when working around it.That stuff on them makes you itch like crazy.
    Kathi