Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

I'm getting a darn nectarine this year! (pic)

hosenemesis
12 years ago

{{gwi:542855}}

I built a cage for my nectarines. The prototype is a bit too long, but I think I may get to eat four nectarines this year.

I thought you might like a photo of Lloyd Bridges, one of Mike's people. He wrests mealworms out of Mike's fingers and then does a few push-ups to show him a thing or two.{{gwi:542858}}

And my favorite flowers, irises:

{{gwi:542859}}

Lovely weather we're having!

Renee

Comments (6)

• yodiana
    12 years ago

Congrats on the nectarines, Renee! I may have to look into growing irises now - are they difficult to grow? They are lovely. :)

• home_grower
    12 years ago

I'm guessing the cage is to protect the fruit from animals but the ones outside the cage look good as well. Am I right?

I lost about half my Apricots due to birds this year. I will do more netting next year. I did save my blueberries and boysenberries this year by netting my garden area and will net my tomatoes and grapes as they get ripe.

haha I have a lot of lizards that don't seem too scared of my presence but I haven't tried to feed them. I just let them eat ants and try to keep my dogs from killing them.

• sunnie
    12 years ago

Your nectarine's look so great, and very tempting for the birds ! And the Iris
    garden is beautiful. Also love those "Lizzies" they do eat the bugs and bad things.

• ladybugsmom192
    12 years ago

NICE! necterines are one of my top 3 favorite fruits! and yes, i'm thinking of growing irises too

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I didn't have enough time to make more nectarine cages, so I'll have to sacrifice most of them to the rodents. I have the tree netted as well, but the rats just use the netting like it's mountain climbing rigging. My neighbors have never eaten a single apricot from their tree. Rodents get them all.

Irises are the easiest things to grow. Be sure to buy reblooming varieties from a reputable grower if you want more than a few weeks of bloom, though.
    Renee

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Renee, I feel your (rat) pain, sigh... Last year I had about 30 or 40 apples on my little espaliered Anna. I did not get single one due to the roof rats and ground squirrels (it's the low rent district on the other side of my fence in the abandoned orange orchard for both ground squirrels and rats). Many of my citrus fruits were also damaged. I have finally had to resort to setting up poison bait stations. I am happy so say I've gotten 10 apples off my new Anna, and look to get those 30 or 40 apples all for myself! If you're not willing to get rid of the rodents by poisoning, have you tried bagging your fruit? I know those very clever wire cages will work for SURE, but maybe a cloth bag, which is easier to put on, might also work? I know a lot of folks use the Packco cotton bags for codling moth with apples, and some are using them on stone fruit to keep them away from rodents and birds. I added the link below.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Packco Cotton Bags