Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to properly fertilize in-ground plantings

Posted by orinca SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 0:29

Hello ya'll, Im new to the forum and more important new to farming/gardening in Southern California!
I'm looking for advice on how to rig up my drip irrigation systems to inject fertilizer instead of hand sowing granules or using a hose sprayer.
This year I have 6 rows each 100 ft long, currently I'm able to irrigate with drip line, however Im having a tough time fertilizing my crops.
I done alot of research but my solutions range from a $20 venturi-siphon hose attachment to a +$500 high speed fertilizer injector.
I dont want to go cheap, but I dont need to go bankrupt either since I'm farming to save money on perishable foods.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to properly fertilize in-ground plantings

It works better to feed your soil, by adding compost yearly to build the structure of your soil, which will feed your plants. In more than 20 years on this property, I have never used anything on my soil except compost and mulch. My neighbor grows grapes on more than 350 acres, without ever adding any fertilizer. Just because the chemical companies want to sell something to put on our soil, does not mean we need it. Al

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 11:24

I have a dosatron. They are awesome.

o

Calistoga: I'd prefer to amend the soil with mulch and compost, however currently its not feasible for me to rip up all my crops and add organic matter back into the soil. After this growing season I'll till the crops under and that will provide some organic matter back into the ground. I'm not looking to buy conventional fertilizer either, "Organic" types will work just as well for me.

Nil13: What type of Dosatron do you have? I was looking at the MiniDos 2,5%, but I need to be a bit more educated on what types of application rates I should be looking at for "in-organic" and "organic" fertilizers.

o

What are your "crops?"

o

Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 14:06

I have the DM11F.

o

nil13: How well does that model work for you? what proportions does it regulate? How big can the holding tank be with that injector?

desertdance: corn, melons, squash, carrots, tobacco, peppers etc...

o

Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 11:08

The proportion is a fixed 1:128. I use a 5gal water jug as my reservoir. I'm sure you could go bigger. I have the dosatron mounted about 5 feet off the ground with the 5 gal jug on the ground and it pulls the liquid without problem.

I love it. It works great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here