Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you buy liatris?

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 0:36

I'm trying to find a source. I bought a whole bunch of them somewhere two years ago, but most disappeared. The few that bloomed look very nice, so I thought I would try again.
Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you buy liatris?

It has been many years, but I am sure I bought mine mail order from Dutch Gardens. I have not looked but Costco may have them by the box. Al

o

You might try Green Thumb/Green Arrow.
I thought I saw them at Lowes this year also.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 13:59

So glad you asked, I'm planning to add them to the garden this fall. Have you searched on-line? If you can't find a local source, I found it at Bluestone Perennials, a very reputable on-line catalog.

Liatris spicata

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24% (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 17:35

I bought bulbs at Walter Andersen's in San Diego, but don't remember what time of year.

o

Hi Renee!
I like Brent & Becky's, a small but highly reputable mail order bulb supplier. I've ordered from them several times and always been pleased. For liatris, however, I think you'll have to wait a bit to order from them. The liatris are listed in their summer catalogue, and right now they're zeroed in on tulips and daffodils for the fall.

K

Here is a link that might be useful: Liatris from Brent & Becky

o

I'll look at Lowe's and Green Thumb/Arrow first. Wow, what a difference in prices! 8.95 at Bluestone for one bulb, and about 1.20 apiece at Brent and Becky's. Since I want a lot, I don't think I'll go with Bluestone.
Renee

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 18:47

The cheapo ones are as good as the expensive ones. Mine I've had since 2000 and they are still doing great. They like at least a little moisture year round, but to stay on the dry side. Neither totally dry nor very moist. Otherwise they either dry up or rot. Then let the plant growth really dry out before you cut it off. In a spot they are happy with, they are very easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here