Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juglans Californica / Southern California Walnut; Where

Posted by jmc0369 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 0:42

Where to buy? Who has some seedlings? Looking to plant this native in Valley Center.

Thanks,
Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juglans Californica / Southern California Walnut; Where

In addition to Jon's question do I need more than 1 for pollination to be able to harvest in the future? I would be planting in Claremont. Thanks, Jim.

o

Jon, is that San Diego County? Have you checked out Las Pilitas in Escondido?

Jim, perhaps you could get an answer from someone at Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden in Claremont.

o

I struggle with hundreds of these seedlings every year. By the time the foliage of a seedling is big enough to notice, a tap root is a foot into the soil, and impossible to pull out unless the soil is wet. When they are in my pots I can pull them out due to the loose mix, but I doubt they could be shipped anywhere and survive the trip. The germination percentage must be pretty good, and you could plant your own. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here