Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'days to maturity' - what's your definition?

Posted by lindsey5809 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 1:49

Hi there,

I moved into my new house this week and it's right in the heart of garden season but I fear too late for a lot of things. For example, I"d like to plant some sunflowers, and have read they are 90 days to maturity.

What does everyone think though, if I live in the east bay area where it says warm (70s) until mid to late October? Of course if I could have started earlier, I would have, but can I plant things that take 3 months at this point here in zone 9?

Many thanks. I have tons of sun and space to work with.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'days to maturity' - what's your definition?

Yes, you can plant sunflowers, cosmos, and amaranth. You may be able to do zinnias- maybe someone else knows about those. I plant amaranth and cosmos every year at this time. Smaller sunflowers usually take less time to bloom.

Renee

o
RE: 'days to maturity' - what's your definition?

Lots of what you are looking for you may be able to find in four inch pots. They will cost 3 or4 dollars but will save from 6 to 8 weeks growing time. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here