Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is Ironite toxic?

Posted by poorowner Northern CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 2:12

I bought a bag of Ironite and I found many old news about this product containing large amount of arsenic and lead. If California has sued the manufacturer, why is it we can still buy this in big box stores, nursery? Does anyone know if the bags you can buy today have to situation corrected?

The formulation is 1-0-1 pellet form. Looking at the number of bags at the local store, alot of people bought this product.. It even says it's ok to use on fruit and vegetables. Is it really toxic? should I bring it back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is Ironite toxic?

I've always used Ironrite because it doesn't burn and comes highly suggested. If you are looking to green your lawn or some bushes I just used the new Scotts Organic lawn fertilizer and in one day my lawn is so green and lush which for years it was weedy and had brown spots. It has expensive ingredient like feather meal and others which helps hold the water which I only do once a week and the roots stay moist. A garden product Dr. Earth which has all the different organics came suggested by our Zoo here in San Diego and is doing amazing things in my flowers and succulants. So depending on what you are doing these bags contain all the rich stuff for very little money. debbysunshine@hotmail.com

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 17:31

As far as I can remember, Ironite is mined in Arizona, and the ore contains, yes, lead and arsenic. I've read two different lines of thought on it, that the arsenic is in a form not absorbed by plants and therefore not toxic, and the other story that yes, avoid it at all costs.

If you just don't feel comfortable about it, return it and get something else. Most authorities will tell you that California soil contains plenty of iron and all the basic nutrients, with the glaring exception of Nitrogen, so you really don't need to add anything but N. A soil test can tell you for sure. When plants look chlorotic it is not due to a lack of iron in the soil, but the plants inability to absorb the iron due to temperature, pH, or some other factor.

o
grape grafting nursery

I am looking for a nursery, perhaps in Temecula, that will graft grape bud wood to rootstock, care for the vines for a couple of months, and then I can pick them up to plant. I have the budwood, but lack both rootstock and sufficient skill T grafting myself. Any advice gratefully received.

o

Andy,
You should probably start a brand new topic, instead of posting within this thread. No one will see what you're asking for :-) I have some suggestions for you, but better to post them in their own topic thread.

Patty (Fraser) S.
btw, Slainte!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here