Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oleander next to Tomatoes

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 9:42

We are growing some tomatoes in raised boxes along our back fence. A row of Oleanders are growing on the other side of the fence (in our neighbor's property). Blossoms drop onto our tomato plants... not a tremendous amount, but a few here and there. And, no doubt the roots of both are intermingling.

With Oleander being poisonous, is there any risk to our tomatoes.... or worse, to us? This will be our last year growing tomatoes in this spot (too much shade cast by the roses in front) but we're thinking of replacing the tomatoes with blueberries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oleander next to Tomatoes

Dangerous ONLY if you eat the oleander parts.

o

Yummy! Good idea- blueberries will be fun. No problem at all with the oleander. I had my tomatoes under an oleander for a few years and never once had a problem.

If you do get oleander sap in your mouth, by the way, you will know it immediately. The bitter taste is accompanied by a burning sensation, different from hot peppers, more like a chemical burn. It takes a few hours to go away. I don't recommend it. Tastes worse than pill bugs. I will never understand why that dog kept chewing on it.
Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 15:24

Thank you. We'll be sure to wash the tomatoes well before eating them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here