Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darn Worms on my Petunias

Posted by tracm 9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 10:05

Man, they are really going to town this year. I have several Petunias in pots around my yard and I barely can get a bloom without those obnoxious worms munching them. I have tried Dr. Earth's organic spray then moved on to Safer insect spray, but to no avail. I think I am going to have to go for the big guns now and get a heavy insectiside. Anybody else been having this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darn Worms on my Petunias

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 11:20

If they're being eaten by those tobacco budworms, I had that problem last year on my Pelargoniums. I never did use anything on them other than my scissors every morning. Rather satisfying snipping them in half. :)

Nothing this year...yet.

Brenda

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 14:09

Don't bother with the big guns.

Instead, use Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) because it is specific for caterpillars. Bt is an ingredient, not a brandname. But if you ask for an "organic or natural caterpillar killer," the personnel at the garden center are likely to know what you want.

Every garden center sells Bt under one or several brandnames. All work. Repeat according to directions.

o

• Posted by gzel z8CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 19:26

I agree with Jean - Bt will kill the worms - Non toxic to every thing else.
George

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 19:40

Another vote for BT.

o

• Posted by lyael z10 CA, ss 23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 4:07

Is this effective for any worms? I have (this year, for the first time) little green worms chewing lacework into all my salvias, also plectranthus. I've been trying to pick them off, but they're hard to spot, and I guess I'm not doing a very good job, because those plants are a mess.

What are the drawbacks of BT? Is it safe around kids? I've never sprayed anything because, first, four little kids, and second, don't want to hurt the good bugs. I understand that BT is specific to worms/caterpillars, but there must be some drawbacks, no?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 19:26

For any "wowrms" which are caterpillars -- that is, the kids of butterflies and moths.

Bt is so safe that it can be used on edibles the same day you eat them. It is specific to caterpillars.

The drawbacks are that it kills butterfly larvae -- thus, butterfly gardeners don't like it at all.

o

Caterpillars were eating my petunias, too.....so I pick them off when I see them and chuck them over my wall, into the field. That way, they're happy and I'm happy. Gave the petunias a hair cut and they're back to being happy, too.

o

• Posted by andy_e SF Bay CA 9/14 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 18:59

Google is your friend...there is a great article that tells you all about Bt right here.

o

• Posted by lyael z10 CA, ss 23 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 28, 06 at 14:57

Thanks for the Bt info!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here