Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sf_rhino

Acacia removal

sf_rhino
9 years ago

I'm in the process of buying a house. It has a nice yard in the back that is overgrown with about 1-2 dozen black acacia (Acacia melanoxylon) of various sizes.

Ideally I'd initially like to take out one or two of the largest ones (maybe 12" diameter) to open up some sun, then over time I'll take out the others piecemeal while I swap them out with natives.

I've read they are hard to remove/kill the roots so I may need to employ an herbicide (although I've also read epsom salt can work? anyone used that to kill roots?). I'm concerned that if many/all of the trees are suckers from an original tree and have an interconnected root system, that using a glycophosphate or something on a stump may kill all the trees (as I've heard happens with bamboo). Anyone have experience with this? I'd like to successfully remove them, but not all at once (plus bonus points if I don't have to use an herbicide).

Advice???

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

When buying property with obvious proplems, the best solution is usually to include them in your escrow instrutions. My grandson has spent months correcting his new house existing yard problems. Al

• sf_rhino
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm more of a do-it-yourself kind of person. More fun that way. I wouldn't consider the trees problems. Most people would probably love them, but I have a preference for natives and fruit-bearing trees.

• devolet
    9 years ago

I cut all the trees down when we bought our place in the woods. Some trunks I used stump killer which degrades the roots over time, or you can drill and fill with remover and do a burnout if legal in your area. Some stumps I left and put undiluted brush killer on them right after cutting. The Apple tree sent up suckers which I poison as they pop up. And on an acacia and a pepper tree that were removed later by a landscaper, I used herbicide immediately and neither have popped anything since. I've done the natural manner of boric acid, boiling water, and vinegar. Go with the herbicide and save yourself the headache.

• sf_rhino
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, which herbicide did you use?

• devolet
    9 years ago

In the past I used condensed brush killer without diluting it. Now I just use a product called Ground Clear at the strength it comes in out of the bottle. I have also used Glyphosate without the additives in it but not with as much luck as with brush killer or Ground Clear. One or two applications is enough generally. Wetting the cut shortly after dropping the tree is when I treat it so it gets drawn in.

• sf_rhino
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh and any worry it will kill other trees with a connected root system (ie suckers from the roots of a previously felled tree)?

• devolet
    9 years ago

I have taken out seven trees I'm not sure the name of that kept breaking in the wind and getting mites on the foliage, plus an acacia, pepper tree, grafted apple, and an 85 year old rose taking over the neighbors old oak. The only thing we've been left with is a huge bare spot in the old oak. I've not noticed other roots systems being affected by treating the cuts. I'm in the woods though. Things regenerate rather quickly. Try it on one as a test shot and see what happens.