Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Curcuma alismatifolia or Curcuma thorelli

I just stumbled upon these at of all places, Home Depot. They look so lovely, remind me so much of our trips to Hawaii. I've bought a few, but thought I'd ask this forum if anyone is growing them? I am seeing on some resource sites that I should dig up the bulbs and store them in the winter. Trying to find out if this is really necessary in my mild climate? Do they multiply quickly, form clumps, need to be divided, are they reliable re-bloomers? Really love them, they look so pretty with my other ginger down in my "jungle" area of my garden. Oh, and while I'm asking - Moses in the Boat (Rhoeo spathacea 'Tricolor' has also been planted down in this area in dappled shade. Hoping it will also grow. Again - very popular in Hawaii, but not sure it will do well in my area. We can get chilly temps in the winter, so this is always a concern for anything "tropical" I plant down there. Lost some ferns two winters ago, so sticking to more hardy ferns.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset Plant Finder: Curcuma alismatifoia

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 15:04

Comments (11)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Curious as to what kind of ferns were those you lost? How long had you had them? And were they a short-lived variety? Ferns are a favorite of mine.

Sorry I don't have experience on your 2 plants from my gardening days in zones 22 & 24. Hope somebody does.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady' which I just love. It was planted in the spring two years ago. That winter we had a run of temps I'm the high 20's for about 4 days during the night that devastated a lot of our more tender plants here in N. San Diego county beach area. Lost mangoes, papayas and a couple of young citrus trees. I will cover this blechnum this winter if we get another freeze.

Patty S.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Thank you.

Whoa, high 20's. We've been cold enuf to freeze established hibiscus roots. Rare.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I tried those Curcuma from HD one year. They died a quick death. I have no doubt you will have better results.

• bahia
    9 years ago

They can be left in the ground overwinter in the deep south, with mulch, but are best adapted to dry winter/early warm spring climates. I've not had luck getting them to grown again a second year here in the SF Bay Area, and treat them as annual color. Now Blechnum gibbum, on the other hand, thrives for me, and should do equally well if well irrigated in Sunset zones 23/24, and more inland if protected from hot drying winds and freezing.The Rhoeo doesn't do well year round for me outdoors, we're just too cool here in summer and winter, but again, this does well in the deep south, even with occasional freezes.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bahia, I was hoping you'd weigh in on this topic. Guess we'll see how both the Curcuma and Rheo do for me. Sure loved them in Hawaii, but, don't really have a Hawaiian climate here in N. San Diego county. Close I suppose, but certainly not the same.

Patty S.

• bahia
    9 years ago

Those are probably gonna be be better as container plants sheltered from winter rains. Again, I have no doubt the Rhoeo would like a sheltered spot up against buildings with rain protection and winter sun, or a semi enclosed porch to keep it just a bit warmer in winter. I can summer the Rhoeo outdoors, but can't seem to keep the golden color on cultivars like Sitara's Gold. The pink variegated Rhoeo does better for me outside.

• bahia
    9 years ago

Those are probably gonna be be better as container plants sheltered from winter rains. Again, I have no doubt the Rhoeo would like a sheltered spot up against buildings with rain protection and winter sun, or a semi enclosed porch to keep it just a bit warmer in winter. I can summer the Rhoeo outdoors, but can't seem to keep the golden color on cultivars like Sitara's Gold. The pink variegated Rhoeo does better for me outside.

• bahia
    9 years ago

• bahia
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

The Rheo is the pink variegated variety, so hopefully it will overwinter for me. Just a little worried about the moisture level, as it's in a somewhat damper area in my jungle garden. If they look peaked, I'll pull them out and move then to a drier area probably up against the crib wall, and put in Heucheras in their place. Not the look I'm after, but a decent alternative. Thanks, bahia, appreciate your expertise!

Patty S.