Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teeny, Tiny Bee?

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 11:43

I was out admiring my flowers yesterday and while checking out all the insect activity around the bog sage I saw what looked a really small bee. At first I thought it was a little wasp, but then I noticed that it had faint stripes and a little bit of fuzz on it's body and pollen sacks on it's legs. It was probably less than a quarter of the size of a normal honeybee, I've never seen or heard of such a bee before. But after noticing one I saw another later on in the same patch of sage, they are so little they can climb into the sage flower the way a bumblebee climbs into a nasturtium.

Are they common and I just never knew about them before? Or it is not a bee at all and I'm completely mistaken? I'm suddenly very curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teeny, Tiny Bee?

Good job! You are attracting native bees to your yard. There are lots of species, each with their plant preferences. You can encourage more by putting up a bee house for them. I drill different sized holes two inches deep into a piece of 4x4 lumber and put a little slanted roof on it. There are some elaborate designs out there- you can make the bee house a feature of your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect houses

o
RE: Teeny, Tiny Bee?

There are many species of native mason, leafcutter, and digger bees. Some nest in wood holes or holes in the ground. They are solitary bees and live short lives. But they did evolve with our native plants.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here