Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing blueberries in wine barrels

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 12:03

I'm looking for some large wine barrels to transplant our blueberries from smaller pots. Is there a way to preserve the large wooden barrels for long-term growing, such as lining with a large plastic trash bags with drainage holes punched into the bottom? I would prefer the wooden barrels because I love their natural appearance and larger size, but don't want to have to replace a rotting barrel every few years, and blueberries need a LOT of water.

Has anyone had success growing blueberries in the smaller plastic(?) wine barrel look-alikes seen at the big box stores?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing blueberries in wine barrels

Pond centers sell hard plastic liners that fit inside a wine barrel AND have a lip to protect the top of the taves. I suppose if you drilled or cutout a few 1" holes in them and in the oak barrels..the Oak barrels staves could last many years treated with stain or, to get really fancy polyurathene(spelling is close)adds a varnished look.
If great looks dont matter..the old 32 gal Rubbermaids perhaps covered in a reed or 1970's style macrame like exterior could look passable.
Yep,I'm that old.

o

I have my blueberries (6 of them) in very large terra cotta pots, Jenn. They look very nice. 3 of them we had to construct some major hardware cloth cylinders to keep the rats and ground squirrels out as they gnawed them to the ground at first, so that doesn't look particularly aesthetic, but I think it now may safe enough to remove them as they've gotten pretty big, and I've taken care of the rat and ground squirrel population. But, I think stanofh's suggestion is a good one. I saw the 1/2 whisky barrels or 1/2 wine barrels recently at Lowe's at a very good price. I love the look of them, too, but they do rot out fast. I may also check around for the plastic liners at my local pond center, too. Great idea. And I still have my 1969 macrame book. Too bad I never kept any of the plant hangers I made, lol!!

Patty S.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 13:31

stanofh: Thanks for suggesting the liners; I'll look for them. I definitely don't want to use anything that might be toxic to the berries. And looks do matter (to me), at least in my own yard. :0)

Patty: I'd like wood (with a liner) or plastic container (or one of those terra-cotta look-alikes made of foam) since our summers are so hot and blueberries like so much water. I'll go to Lowe's and check out those half-barrels!

I remember macrame and have seen some hangers in high-end stores.

o

'Welcome Jenn!
I really meant to say wicker baskets or reeds to cover a generic container like rubbermaids...but all that came to me was Macrame!-lol
You have to excuse me for the mistake..I just recently had to put down my old 1974 "Pet Rock"..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here