Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_9

mystery plant

iris_9
13 years ago

This plant came up this year in a bed that had been dug out. It has large leaves and is just now starting to flower. It kind of looks like nicotiana which was in that bed at one time but I don't remember it having such huge leaves. If if anyone can identify it for me I would appreciate it!

{{gwi:544173}}

Comments (12)

• iris_9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did a little research...sorry should have done it first! I believe it is nicotiana...just didn't remember the leaves being so huge. It performed poorly for me when planted it as a seedling last year. Then my husband had the flower beds dug out in the spring to correct a drainage problem and this came up!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I've been trying to get one of those to grow for years. Very pretty.
    Renee

• davissue_zone9
    13 years ago

It's Nicotiana sylvestris. It self sows readily and will survive a mild winter if it has good drainage.

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

Looks like nicotiana. I have N. Glauca...blue leaves with yellow tubular flowers. Kinda rangy in habit but if you have a big garden it is a neat plant.

• iris_9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to comment. This evening I sat outside by the patio where it is growing hoping to get a whiff of the wonderful fragrance I read about, but there was none! Maybe the flowers need to be more mature or perhaps I was outside too early.

• ltecato
    13 years ago

You are not alone, Iris. I can't smell my moonflowers yet. I was hoping they'd take the edge off the smell of dog poop from the neighbors' property.

• tressa
    13 years ago

It's listed on the evasive plant list and it's common name is tobacco tree. I live in the hills of Temecula and it's sprouting up all over the place - displacing natives. It's poisonous!!! (sorry - but I just hate it!)

• iris_9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no, I don't think its the "tobacco tree" ...that one had yellow flowers in the plant files that I saw...I believe Davissue was correct in identifying it as nicotiana sylvestris. I don't remember planting this one but I may have sometime in the past and its seeds have just now germinated...last year I planted nicotiana alata (Jasmine Tobacco) in that bed and it had much smaller leaves and colored flowers and did not do well for me. Here is a pic of a concrete leaf casting that I made yesterday from one of its leaves...you can see how huge they are...16" wide by 18" long!
    {{gwi:544174}}

• davissue_zone9
    13 years ago

Heh-heh, I did the same thing, made a casting from my first one. I'm trying to remember what I did with it, I made it quite thin so it's lightweight and is tucked away somewhere in storage. Sue

• jenn
    12 years ago

Iris, would you mind explaining how you made the leaf casting? I'd like to do that with leaves from our Nicotiana sylvestris. (I'll Google it too... just wondering if you could share any tips.) Thank you!

• iris_9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't been here for some time, and imagine my surprise when I stopped by this evening and saw my post from two years ago! Well, nicotiana sylvestris, "Woodland Tobacco" turned out to be a wonderful plant, blooming from July on til frost with unusual white fragrant flowers. Triple digits don't phase it! It dies down in the winter here in the central valley but comes back up in the summer from the many seeds it produces. I will probably always keep this plant somewhere in my garden!
    jenn, you asked about how to make leaf casting. See the link below for a "how to" video from Garden Gate magazine, but I use this recipe for the concrete instead: 2 parts play sand, one part Portland cement, only enough water to make "brownie consistency". Also you will find a lot of info on gardenweb's Hypertufa forum. Go to the FAQ and do a search for "leaf casting." I learned a lot from that forum! Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Gate Magazine

• jenn
    12 years ago

Thank you Iris! I have done some reading and thought that maybe I should begin with cake pan stepping stones instead.... starting with fancy leaves seems like biting off a bit much all at once. I'm willing to try though. Thanks again so much for your reply. Isn't it amazing that you found my post after a long layoff!