Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

pest I.D.

I posted these pics in the Garden Clinic forum, but they don't have an answer for me -- maybe I need better pics because the best identifiers in that forum say "not a whitefly or aphid." I always thought they were whiteflies, because when I shake my tomato plants, these tiny WHITE fluffy flies start fluttering off the plant. There's actually a bit of pale green to them upon closer inspection. I'm sure SOMEBODY in SoCal gets these every year in the summer, so I thought I'd try here.

Help???

Live pics --

{{gwi:544359}}

Better pics---

{{gwi:544360}}
{{gwi:544361}}
{{gwi:544361}}

Then, I caught one and suffocated it in a jar so I could get better pics... not really better pics though... LOL

It's lost some color(a very pale greyish green) after being dead for a few hours.

{{gwi:544362}}
{{gwi:544363}}
{{gwi:544364}}
{{gwi:544365}}
{{gwi:544366}}
{{gwi:544367}}

Any help would be appreciated. I want to release the correct beneficials to control them and keep them from "sucking" the life out of my toms and peppers.

Thanks

Kevin

Comments (9)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I have no idea, but general predators like Mantis and Ladybugs will eat anything they can catch.

• socal23
    10 years ago

Cyrtopeltis modesta AKA Tomato Bug or Tomato Suck Bug

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome Socal23! They go after peppers too, right? Why didn't I post this in the Cali forum 5 years ago...lol?

You think lacewing larvae can control them?

hoovb: I've got ladybugs and mantids all over the garden. They're not doing a good enough job.

Thanks

Kevin

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    10 years ago

You can submit it to the county for I. D. It's free.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Diego County Entomology Lab

Original Author
    10 years ago

Never thought of that socalgal. I usually can just post a pic to the garden clinic forum and they identify them right away. But I guess it's pretty much a Cali pest. I think socal23 nailed it though. Funny how I couldn't(or even the experts) identify this thing for years when the name of it was so "right in my face." LOL

Thanks

Kevin

• socal23
    10 years ago

There's not a lot of info on it. In fact, I had never heard of it before. The pictures were somewhat fuzzy but it looked like Hemiptera (true bugs). I went on the U.C. IPM site and started going through their list of tomato pests.

Ryan

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep. I appreciate the work. I wish there WAS more info so I could attack them and still stick to my organic pursuit. My Tomato plants end up making it to season's end, albeit haggard. But, eventually they migrate to my beloved peppers and I end up having to pull plants with, sometimes, a good month or two left in the season. It irks me!

Anyhow, Thanks again.

Kevin

• User
    10 years ago

It looks like a pest that would succumb to insecticidal soap. Would that fit your style of organic culture?

Original Author
    10 years ago

WBDB: that's not a problem. Soap is in my arsenal. However, when reading the UC IPM website, it refers control to the same as stink bugs. When I read soap for stink bugs, this is what is published:

INSECTICIDAL SOAP#
    (M-Pede) 2.5 oz/gal water 12 0
    MODE OF ACTION: A contact insecticide with smothering and barrier effects.
    COMMENTS: Not effective against adults; only kills nymphs through direct contact so thorough coverage is critical. Expected field efficacy with excellent coverage is 30-50%.

And that statement regarding ADULTS seems to hold true. Since I gave the plants about 4 baths in the last couple weeks and I still see them.

There are less though. But that could be from me going out every morn and eve and shaking the plants; and as the flutter off, I clap them dead... LOL Breaking branches all the while. :( I just need to get a little bit more diversified in my beneficial attractant plants. I'm seeing all kinds of beneficials this year but I don't think I'm conducive to pirate bugs and assassin bugs...yet. I was hoping lacewings would take care of them, because I'm going to purchase some real soon... Just want to clear up the ant problem first.

Thanks

Kevin