Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dak56_gw

What's eating our Sycamore?

dak56
12 years ago

We're thinking it must be some kind of a caterpillar, but we've never seen it! Any ideas what it might be or how we should treat? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

{{gwi:544412}} {{gwi:544414}}

Comments (5)

• toyon
    12 years ago

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I would guess it is a skeletonizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pests in Gardens and Landscapes: Sycamore, London plane tree�

• dak56
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Toyon. I will explore the link you posted, it looks like a good one. What's weird though is that there is no sign of any bug, no nests, no silk, no eggs.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

That may be partly due to the fact that the damage appears to have occur ed some time ago -- notice the brown edges at the edges of the cut tissue.

Take a sample or a picture to a local large independent garden center to ask, or contact your county's Extension Service office. You can locate the latter with this USDA clickable map.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA map to locate Extension Service offices

• huachuma
    12 years ago

Sycamores can be hosts for a good number of butterfly species (actually the caterpillars). Swallowtails being one group that utilize these trees; that's why I planted mine...

Here is a link that might be useful: Host plant

• dak56
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input, I do appreciate your comments. I think I will try our extension office, that is a very good idea.

Huachuma, this is the first year for us with this tree, we do see them in this area that are lush and beautiful, so it is possible. I hope it is some form of butterfly, a native butterfly, not something imported like the white cabbage butterfly.