Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danty_gw

Native iris: Canyon Snow (photo)

danty
12 years ago

The link I attached didn't get into the first post.

Hopefully it shows up in this one.

Danty

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:544420}}

Comments (8)

• jenn
    12 years ago

Very pretty! Thank you for sharing.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Yellow and white are great colors in the garden. Do you grow the PCIs in shade? Matilija Nursery/Bonnie's Irises has a huge selection of them, but I don't have a spot in the shade yet where I can use them. They seem to have a longer bloom period than tall bearded irises. Have you noticed that?
    Renee

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Love PCIs. Mine did best in 1/2 day sun (or dappled sunlight).
    Thanks for letting us know that Canyon Snow is a great performer.

• danty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I grow PCIs in part shade -- dappled light.

I have also visited Matilija Nursery -- and seen Bob's wonderful collection.
    Moreover, based on the fact that Bob grows his PCIs in pots -- I am planning to do the same with other cultivars as well.

For the very BEST example of PCIs -- en masse -- I must recommend the display of them at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Gardens in Claremont.
    Of course its too late to see them now in July.
    But in April (especially in a good rainfall year like this one was) you will witness a breathtaking panorama of them -- much like they must appear in their natural habitat.

Danty

• jenn
    12 years ago

Movin' it to the top! :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Danty!
    I think I'll go to Matilija and look for some PCIs. Do you have any recommendations besides Canyon Snow? Are there any in the blue-purple range that do well for you?
    Renee

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    12 years ago

In general the PCI's in the blue - purple colors are the most vigorous and adaptable. Also the yellows - particularly the ones from Joe Ghio i.e. including older ones like Big Money etc.

They can handle summer dry soil, but not in full sun. There are some concerns about summer irrigation and rot, but I have not had problems with my drip system. Acid soil is a requirement (mine is 6.5 and that has been fine). Divide-replant only in late Fall (October-November) and only when they are starting new white roots; you can soak them in water until roots form (they will grow a long time in a bucket - a friend forgot some and they bloomed in the bucket)

I highly recommend ordering from Joe Ghio's Bayview Garden for best price and quality.

• danty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hosenemesis, I don't have any particular PCI's in the blue-purple range to recommend.

I have heard good things about Joe Ghio -- so that lead would be one to follow up.

I have a long relationship with San Marcos Growers in Goleta.
    They have a rich history of using natives and introducing good plants for the garden.
    Their website has many PCI's listed -- with some purple-blues.

Good luck,
    Danty

Here is a link that might be useful: San Marcos Growers