Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
myoporum groundcover

Posted by sumcool Cen. Coast/s17 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 13:00

We planted myoporum groundcover (parvifolium?) about a year ago. It filled in nicely in only 6 months.
We put in sprinklers and watered twice a week for the first 6 months, then cut to once a week. We fertilized with Milorganite, Joe's favorite.
Soil is sandy, zone is Sunset 17 - Central Coast (Arroyo Grande - Oceano area) and foggy in summer.
We're thinking about cutting watering to once a month and quitting the fertilizer.
Does anyone know how to care for this plant?
Also, somewhere we heard that it is short lived. Is this true, and what does that mean?
I've learned a lot from this site, thank you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: myoporum groundcover

I'm inland in San Diego and a couple of years back got some cuttings of Myoporum which I put in a hot uncared for front garden and it took right off and only needs a trim when it encroaches the sidewalk, never fertilizes ans stays pretty dry there and it's in full bloom, very lush and green.

o

I put it in about a year ago also. Done little to it but water to get it going. I have to trim it or redirect to keep out of waterfall but thats about it.

o

Thanks, debby and goblue.
Will stop watering and fertilizing and see what happens.

o

Oh I think it needs a little water. Mine gets some overspray once a week but thats about it.
My city has it everywhere but I bet it gets watered.
I definately don't think it needs any fertilizer.
Mine is flowering with bees all over it and have never fertilized it.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 23:57

I put a one gallon plant of it in the back. I watered it in when I planted it, and never watered it again. It did great, got to about 20'x20' in a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here