Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Erythrina

Posted by chezron 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 13:20

Really nice, heavily pruned, small Erythrina (about 10' x 10') blooming in July.
Questions:

1) What species?

2) Can it be propagated by cuttings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Erythrina

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 14:36

Is it crista-galli?

Erythrina is generally easy from cuttings.

o

E.crista galli looks to me too. By cuttings or just as easy by seeds.
If you ever meet somebody who wants to cut one of these down? You can actually take a huge branch and stick it in the ground and it will root and -presto- instant coral tree. No kidding.

This post was edited by stanofh on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 18:08

o

• Posted by WBDB Sunset 19 USDA 10a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 20:03

This Erythrina is lovely. They get so huge. I had a E that was sold to be a shrub that maxed at 10'. I wish someone may be able to give me a clue, I probably can recognize the name.

BTW, that 10' E's roots made it from the container to the ground, and it was a 25' multi trunked tree in 2-3 years. It was impressive because the flowering period seemed much longer than what I recall most E's to be. It was still an impressive small tree, with a great floral display.

Very little research tells me that it was Erythrina x bidwillii. This was one garden stunner. I want another one at my current residence. I know they tore out the one that was at my old house, as soon as I moved. So sad, people have different priorities.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 14:32

My neighbor has Erythrina x bidwillii, and stunner it is. She enjoys watching the hummingbirds fight over it all summer. The best of the Erythrinas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here