Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer flowers

Posted by chezron 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 13:27

I normally grow natives, but I miss my summer flowers like Salvia guaranitica, Phlox paniculata, Zinnia, Gaillardia, Coreopsis, etc. I have a section with rich soil and planted with mostly native species of milkweed. i want to add nectar plants like the species above and more. Also, I want color in dry SoCal. I want a fairyland of butterflies and colorful flowers, even if it is a small area (which it is). Will the flowers of the English Borders grow here? If you have seen English gardens in summer you know what I mean. Is it just a matter of water? I imagine gophers would love these juicy plants. Do I need gopher protection for everything I plant?
Thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer flowers

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 17:19

Grow more drought tolerant perennials such as Verbena bonariensis, Lavandula angustifolia/intermedia/stoechas, Calandrinia grandifolia, Alstroemeias, Mimulus aurantiacus and hybrids, Leonotus, other succulents such as Cotyledon orbiculata, Lobelia laxiflora and other similar heat loving more drought tolerant perennials that are either Mediterranean or subtropical. Natives such as Salvia clevelandii, Mimulus aurantiacus, Eriogonum grande rubescens, etc can give very long season color if given drip irrigation. As to gopher protection, it may be necessary depending on your conditions. There are no shortage of vividly colorful and butterfly attracting plants that could simulate an English garden look in southern California, but you will have to provide most all except true desert species with some summer irrigation; just select less water needy species.

o
RE: Summer flowers

If you have gophers, you will need to trap them or protect the plants. I grow Gaillardia, Coreopsis, coneflowers, and other flowering annuals and perennials, but yes, it is expensive because they require water. That's all it takes- water. Verbena bonariensis is a great suggestion for the back of your cottage garden border. Yarrow is another great plant for butterflies and bees- I especially like the yarrows with gray foliage like Moonglow. Lamb's ears and Sea Holly attract lots of bees. Catmint is the perfect cottage garden flower. You can fill in the bare spots between your perennials with annuals like cosmos, zinnias, nasturtiums, paludosum daisies. I water for fifteen to twenty minutes two times a week with overhead sprinklers in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here